Replacing Fender "knife edge" pivots.

If it has Pedals...
TonyRussellDavis

Replacing Fender "knife edge" pivots.

Post by TonyRussellDavis »

I have stripped down my Fender Artist D-10 for maintenance and find one pivot blade badly worn in three places, the other worn a bit less. For those not familiar with the thing I'll explain. And, by the way, these Fenders are the ones with the ShoBud undercarriage. I'm in UK.
The fingers do not pivot on a rod. The fulcrum is a knife-edge and the fingers have a ">" shape that sits on the knife-edge. This results in almost no friction. The "blade" is some alloy or aluminium (too light and too worn to be steel) and 3.5in x 1in x 1/10th in thick. I don't think the thickness is critical; 2.5mm or even 3mm (with the edge filed a bit sharper at the edge) would do.
Does anyone have any ideas what material I need to search for? I'm not familiar with aluminium grades. I even considered 3mm brass :?:
Any thoughts would be helpful, from a PSG tech. or a metal workers angle.
One other thought occurred to me, I wondered if the Fender 800 or 2000 used the same knife - it would be logical that an existing part would be used in the new model.
Keith Cary

Re: Replacing Fender "knife edge" pivots.

Post by Keith Cary »

I'm sorry to not have any real answers. I was just looking at my own Fender/ShoBud Artist model, double-neck, and noticing that most or all of my pivots are quite worn, in the way old pot metal gets worn. There is indeed a lot of pot metal on these otherwise nice guitars. If I were to replace them I'd consider using brass. It's easy to machine and has some lubrication qualities. --- By the way, I read that a lot of these guitars were exported to the UK at the end of their run, in about 1976 or 77.