Body sounds

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Body sounds

Post by Bent »

No this isn't about digestive matters :oops:. You might tell me to get a life, but let's chalk it up to research and then it don't sound so lame. What I was doing this morning, was walking around tapping steel guitar bodies. I have two bodies sitting here and while waiting for some loctite to dry. I thought why not 'listen' to these hunks of wood to see if I can learn something, and that I did, in a way.

Both bodies are screwed, not glued together (for now) . One is all hard maple (3/4") and the other is hard maple sound board with black walnut aprons.

I suspended the bodies from the ceiling in thin, strong kite string. I tapped them with a wooden mallet and some interesting results were evident. I would tap lightly at the changer hole and stand there and listen. I would also lay my ear right against the wood, in the middle of the body, I would also use my little tuner as a sound generator.

The body with walnut aprons won overall. There was just a subtle difference in sound when I stood there and listened while tapping. Laying my ear right on the wood, the difference was way more noticeable. I thought the walnut one sustained a bit longer.
I would tap up near the changer hole and feel with my fingertips along the deck and sure enough - walnut gave a pleasing vibrating sensation, whereas maple felt like one thud and then quit.

When I laid the tuner in the changer hole and lay my ear against the deck halfway down, I heard a distinct and more pleasing note from the walnut one.

You all likely know that I am partial to walnut and you might say that the bias is too strong, but I went into this with an open mind. I felt what I felt and heard what I heard.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Re: Body sounds

Post by Georg »

Bent, you know I'm leaning towards no or very little wood at all in PSGs, and that laminated soundboards and other resonant parts are more down my road. However, since my views probably goes against all you believe in on the issue, I just mention them so others get to know my position too ... before trying to dissect and analyze your "body sounds" a little.

How do you think the body sounds/responses you get in isolated, suspended bodies will affect the sound in the finished PSGs? I'm asking because if you have a preference for what an isolated body should sound like, you most likely also have thoughts, or experience, about what a particular body sound/response in isolation should, or will, lead to in the finished instrument.

Resonances in parts can work with and increase/improve the tone and sustain you want, or they can work against and decrease/degrade them. In a fully assembled instrument a sometimes very confusing mix of increase/improve and decrease/degrade effects are at play - what's referred to by some as "the sum of all parts".

The body is a major part so its role is significant, but it is just one part.

Do you have a way to test the effects of body resonances on vibrating strings rigged up and tensioned more or less as they will be on a finished PSG? Both for tone and sustain it is the interaction between the strings and the body over the entire tonal range that matters - that's what will be heard in the finished instrument, and I think that's where testing should start.

IMO, only when you know what a finished instrument sounds like, and then take it apart and check/learn what the individual parts sound like and contribute to the finished sound, will you be able to determine, to some degree, what the right sound qualities are, or should be, for the individual parts.

Just my thoughts/opinions.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Have you guys seen this site?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Georg

Post by Georg »

Allan, you said what??? :)
Bent

Post by Bent »

Georg, Yes, I know your stand on wood vs metal. You have very original and very sound ideas about how you want things built. You have done your homework and studied matters in detail. I am not going to be the one to counter any of your well-thought out theories.

However, even if my theories counter yours to a large degree, I think the one thing we can agree on is that sound and tone is in the ear that hears (like in the eye of the beholder) Simplified, this translates into: you like that blonde and I like that brunette.

No doubt, you have found in your re-worked Dekley, the sound for your ears. You have admitted many times that you have a very finicky ear for what you comprehend as good tone. I respect your tastes and theories, I will continue to work with you on this very interesting steel guitar tone.

Of course, on some aspects we just have to agree to disagree. And here is one that looks as such: wood vs no wood. I could build you a steel guitar with 0 cab drop, just give me an expert welder and/or a huge chunk of aluminum and I will carve you a whole body/neck on a mill and there will be no movement. But me, with my penchant for all things wood, am afraid that I would have made you a thing that sounds sterile. I am a traditionalist. I do need wood in my product. I know that wood has that sound I am looking for. I have been told by the top guys in the business that different woods make different tone.
And yes, the tone is the sum of all the parts in a steel. Maybe you , in your experience, have discovered that a wood has very little input in that sum. I, in my experience and listening to the old pros, and the old steels not the least, want wood to play a big role and am convinced that it does so.

Therefor, this sum of all the parts is somewhat lessened by me trying to isolate parts, or put air in between the neck and the sound board. Therefore I thought it was of some importance what I tried to work out today, this vibration or resonance, or lack thereof, in a body. I am so much of a traditionalist that I even hesitate to put glue in between the layers of wood to make plywood and even the Formica glued to a body.
As an example, I will never again use nylon anywhere in what I consider the sound chain. I know for a fact that this can have a detrimental effect on tone and sustain.

So, yes, I believe that the sound board and other components all work together to make this effect that reverberates back thru the guitar and via the strings give us this after-effect in thru the pickup and into the amp. Why else do some of the builders make sure that f ex the raise finger hits the wood body on a raise? Why does the emmons PP always have the finger in contact with the body?
I happen to like the Emmons PP sound...the only one distinct enough for my ear to pick out in a crowd of different steels. The old ZB's have it too. Sure, some don't prefer that sound maybe. But I like it so I guess that is what I am striving for. The ZB had thick heavy castings, combined with lots of wood.

I think wood overall only serves to increase sustain/tone. We hear that when we tap said wood with a mallet :-) We also hear that plastic deadens sound and sustain when put into a sound chain.

Aluminum too has a very nice ring to it. But I don't believe in lessening the amount of wood for aluminum. I fear this 'sterile' tone.
I think the two have been balanced in the traditional building method.

I heard a difference in sound from walnut to maple. That's not to say that one is better than the other. But the difference is distinct enough for me to want to make these two guitars to completion if for nothing else than settle my curiosity. I'll bet you the difference between the two will not be bigger than that both will be fully acceptable tone machines that anybody would be proud to own. Well, maybe except for purists like you - and I certainly respect that.

Man, will we have loads to talk about when I see you in a couple of months! :D
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

what site Allan??
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

As a side note about body contact with fingers; I can set up two of my pull release guitars to have the fingers hit the body as the raise stop or I can use the pedal rod stop as the stop. I tried both ways thinking about the body contact with the fingers and I can't say that I heard a difference. Obviously there had to be more transfer of vibrations into the body when the finger hit but I couldn't hear or feel it. It also seems that the problem would be that if there were a significant increase in whatever from the finger contact with the body, it would make the fingers not touching the body sound different. I haven't noticed that either and if it did do that, I don't think it would help. You could say that fingers not ingaged would be resting on the lower tuner screws in the changer but they are mounted in the changer and wouldn't be the same as the finger hitting the body.

I would like to experiment with how the body is held on the guitar. It seems that the changer and keyhead should be cranked on there and the body should be allowed to vibrate without being locked onto the endplates.

I'd be interested to know what makes one soundboard sound different from another. Is it desity, grain, age, or some other random thing. When I see people building guitar bodies on the SGF I wonder if they are thinking about any of this or if they are just choosing the most pretty wood because they believe that the wood is just holding the parts,
Bent

Post by Bent »

Steve,

I don't have the ear to either agree with or counter what you say. I do believe that some ears are more trained, or sensitive if you will, to hear the differences.
But I do believe in what the masters have worked out and what they say. When a master builder goes around and taps on wood and then puts the best sounding(to him) wood in the guitar. What works for him, should also work for me, since I am a wood lover also.
When two distinct "best" builders, Emmons and ZumSteel, say that there is an improvement in tone when the fingers are in contact with the body and they build their guitars to that principle, then what is good enough for them is also good enough for me. These have been tried and true methods.

I am just a hack...a hobby builder. At my age I don't really think that I will be coming up with anything new or stupendous. I just want to build and improve on my initial build, one that I am receiving a bit of positive feedback for from amateurs and pros alike
Allan

Post by Allan »

http://www.harmosmusic.com/

That one!

Sorry, that is the second time in two days (different sites too) that I have had that problem. I paste in the link and nothing gets sent. Grrrrrr...

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Bent,

I think you might have taken my comments to be negative and that's not what I was trying to do. I believe that some builders tap the wood to listen to it. I believe that Zum and Emmons have a reason and experience to say that the finger contact has an effect on tone. What I was trying to say was that I have heard that before and I was surprised that I couldn't detect those things and I think I have a good ear. I assumed that what they heard was there, but, to me, it wasn't as pronounced as I was expecting which makes me think that it is a small % issue. But maybe the contact with push pulls is completely different than a pull release and I have zero experience with push pulls.

My point is, I'm just trying to learn what does make a guitar sound good and I need to question, discuss and listen in order to learn. I come here for this subject rather than TSGF because I hope that people are able to discus different detailed points about construction. I would like to question the finger contact thing in order to understand it. I hope that since Emmons and Zum say so doesn't mean that we can't discuss it.