Pedal rods.

If it has Pedals...
Jason Lynch

Pedal rods.

Post by Jason Lynch »

Ok. Open question to all.
Opinions please. Do we think there's a difference between pedal rods attached to the side of the pedal as opposed to pedal rods attached to the top of the pedal ? Is one Favourable over the other? Is it better to pull from the top of the pedal rather than the side?
ljs

Re: Pedal rods.

Post by ljs »

Just a guess, or maybe more accurately a thought. I believe the difference would be negligible but a pedal rod pulling up on the center of the pedal would distribute more of the forces along the entire center line of the axis. Whereas from the side would be putting more forces on one side or other. A twisting force. Would it really make a difference? Probably not but maybe a slight bit more wear on the pedal pivoting axle because more twisting of the axle would occur.
LaVern
Jason Lynch

Post by Jason Lynch »

I guess that was my thoughts too. At least somebody bothered to reply...!
ljs

Post by ljs »

Don't be too disappointed by the replies yet. I sometimes get pretty busy with grand-kids and to-do lists that I am not able to get here everyday. I think there will be more chiming in on this and giving their pros and cons to each method of attachment. One other thing to add. My GFI built March of 1995, has the rods mounted on the side with the threaded holes tapped clear through the pedal allowing mounting from either side. This feature allowed me to adjust my pedals left or right to better fit my preference when I was experimenting with a 10 string universal copedent. I had 5 levers and 7 pedals and that ability to attach from either side came in handy. Now that was around 2002 or so and I don't remember exactly what the situation was but I'm sure it was to make easier alignment of pedals left or right using the existing holes for the cross-shafts.
LaVern
William Groner

Post by William Groner »

ljs wrote:Just a guess, or maybe more accurately a thought. I believe the difference would be negligible but a pedal rod pulling up on the center of the pedal would distribute more of the forces along the entire center line of the axis. Whereas from the side would be putting more forces on one side or other. A twisting force. Would it really make a difference? Probably not but maybe a slight bit more wear on the pedal pivoting axle because more twisting of the axle would occur.
LaVern
I agree with my machinist buddy.............ljs

You have to email me and let me know how you made out at the fair.....with your display.
ljs

Post by ljs »

H Bill,
Fair results.. Blue ribbon, first premium in class(Woodworking, not furniture) and best in department (Woodworking). I've emailed you but have been having computer problems, so I'm not sure if it is going to go through. Sorry, I thought I had already let you know how I made out. Take care.
LaVern