New type half stop

If it has Pedals...
Bent

New type half stop

Post by Bent »

I hope you all will follow this one. I believe this one has possibilities.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 30#1528330
Study the sketch as well as the pictures in the WBS link.

I would want the half stop mounted right by the knee lever crank in order to eliminate the added weight of the push arm on the cross rod.(where possible)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Re: New type half stop

Post by Georg »

I tested one of Wolfgang's (WBS) half stops and found it to work reasonably well, at least far better than the usual "added spring-load" half stops, IMO. I'd suggest one improvement though...

Instead of making it a narrow notch in a slider with even thickness, it should be a two-thickness slider: a thin end or a long groove that the ball is in when released, with the half stop where the spring-loaded ball (or two on opposite sides as in the WBS variant) meets the greater thickness. This will make the half stop more consistent and easy to feel on the way in as the ball won't fall into a groove.

Also: the WBS variant has an internal spring that pushes the slider back to release-position - it isn't pulled back out by the lever. This means the slider doesn't have to be linked to the lever, it only has to push against the activated lever on the way "up".
Georg

Re: New type half stop

Post by Georg »

For the record: I'd prefer the "broken finger" or "spring-loaded hinge" type of half stops, basically the same construction that I'll use to switch pedal/lever action.

Couldn't find a cheap scanner in my small town last time I checked - don't want to pay around $1000 for a super-scanner since I'll only use it for a few drawings a year, so can't show you how the simple "half stop / switch" device is constructed just yet. Will try again in the coming weeks.