New guy, new steel.

If it has Pedals...
Jim S

Re: New guy, new steel.

Post by Jim S »

I was hopeful that the ebony would be dense enough to do the job, but it will be easy enough to make those pieces from aluminum if it doesn't. This is new territory for me, and I'd like to bring my luthier skills if possible. I know I'll have lots to learn, so I'm ready to try some ideas and then make changes if they don't work. Having a very fun time with this so far.
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

I had no way to make one-piece end plates so I made the body ends with wood, and plan to fasten aluminum angle on the corners to add strength.
Attachments
IMG_7563.JPG
IMG_7563.JPG (38.61 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
IMG_7562.JPG
IMG_7562.JPG (80.74 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

thats about a pretty as any
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

It looks good to me.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Be mighty careful grooving those rollers on a drill press. Most drill press chucks are held on by a locking taper which is not designed or suitable for side loads like those created by using a drill press as a lathe.

The result could be a face full of flying chuck and even a damaged drill press spindle. I'll let you guess how I know this.

Careful out there!
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Thanks, I do have a Foredom flex shaft tool, so it might be better to use that as a mini lathe. After thirty years of woodworking I still have all of my digits and don't want to do anything stupid now.
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

My solution for mounting the legs without the machined metal end plates was to drill holes in each corner at 10° for a press fit 1/2-13 coupling nuts from the hardware store. They are 1-1/2" long, and epoxied into the holes. I mounted the legs from my Carter steel to check it out, and yes, they are very solid.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (125.26 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I did something similar to your leg mounts and it worked out just fine , over a period of time however that might work itself loose and it might not , something to think about anyway . Russ
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Yes, thanks. I know I'm trying to engineer this thing without any metal working machinery or expertise. For sure I won't be trying to sell it to anyone, and I'm guessing that some ongoing maintenance and tweaking will be needed. If it works I'll be very very happy, and already I can see why maybe you can't just build only one. If my legs get loose I'll have to try something else.
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Ok, just did this. The shaft is 5/16" steel and I used bronze sleeve bearings on the ends. The set screw that holds the pedal rod crank in place is counter sunk into the steel shaft to prevent any slippage. Everything moves very smoothly without any binding.....so far.
Attachments
IMG_7567.JPG
IMG_7567.JPG (161.71 KiB) Viewed 4958 times