New guy, new steel.

If it has Pedals...
Jim S

Re: New guy, new steel.

Post by Jim S »

I was not planning on making more than this one, but already I have ideas for improvement. Could be a very slippery slope.

Are all the pickups out there pretty decent? I was thinking Bill Lawrence would be the way to go.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

I like the sounds from a BL705.
Keith Cary

Post by Keith Cary »

I bet it'll be OK. The ebony is under compression. But I forgot, what are the actual rollers made from? I think those should be metal. I bet if you think for a while you could find something already made, used for another purpose. --- I'm also a much more experienced woodworker than metal worker, and have more woodworking tools than metal-working, so made the pillow blocks for my knee levers out of rosewood, because I have a bunch. That guitar gets played a bunch, no problems.

By the way, this is all beautiful! It's inspiring me to do the same. I need (really, I need) a single-neck 10-string and there's nothing that meets my needs (parallel 3/8" string spacing, pretty light) for sale, so I might have to build one.

Thanks,
Keith
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

An update on my homemade steel guitar. I got the BL705 pickup, and really like it. I’m almost ready to say that this guitar sounds better than my Carter. Everything seems to have settled in, and it stays in tune very well. The hard ebony pillow blocks and maple peg head have not caused any trouble yet. I did add a knee lever to lower the second string, and plan to figure out a half stop for that. I’ve used it for practice sessions, but not yet for a gig. We have another gig coming up next week, so I think I’m gonna go for it then.
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

5AC81F36-50C6-4482-ACC5-EF1B95662CBA.jpeg
5AC81F36-50C6-4482-ACC5-EF1B95662CBA.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 7549 times
I have added a heavy brass stop block behind the changer fingers. The notes ring out more clearly, and the sustain is even better. The set screws tune the drops on the knee levers.
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello new guy new steel, my name is Steve, do you have dimensions for your changer pillow blocks and a rough drawing, you could email me, my email address is Black43230@yahoo.com, I want to build a guitar for myself and I like your Pillow blocks.