starting another steel

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

starting another steel

Post by azureskys »

A keyhead of walnut , Im going to see how much of this build i can make using just wood
Attachments
20170620_165959.jpeg
20170620_165959.jpeg (475.77 KiB) Viewed 6862 times
azureskys

Re: starting another steel

Post by azureskys »

Im going with walnut and figured maple for the cabinet , maybe aluminum end plates not sure just yet . Ill get more pics up as i go along with the build , Another thing , Ill just do a pull release my usual . The body will be 8 5/8 wide and around 32 long maybe 3 1/2 tall . changer pillow blocks are walnut with 1/2 inch shaft and 1 inch x 3/8 fingers , i like the 3/8 string spacing . I usually use a piece of angle aluminum for the cross shafts but this time ill use wood with delrin bushings for that part , pedals will be aluminum , dont think wood would work too well there .Maybe a walnut pedal board with maple would be nice , Im going for 3 pedals and three knees . today i got some parts glueing up and tomorrow ill run it through the planer to clean it up and thin it a bit ( the top of the cabinet ) Im waiting on some maple then ill glue that up also , Might build a pickup if i can find some magnets i have plenty of 41 and 42 wire maybe ill install a volume and tone controls right on the guitar . Comments are welcome . Russ
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Russ,
I'm looking forward to following your progress, it sounds like a nice selection of woods you intend using. It's not so easy to obtain nice figured wood in the UK although English Sycamore (which is almost on the same specifications as Maple unlike the American Sycamore which is softer) has a nice rippled effect not unlike some of the maples.
It would be good to see a build shown on the forum again, just like there used to be.

Good luck and best wishes.

Ron Mc.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Very cool project! Your key head looks nice and clean. I'm eager to see how the wood cross shafts work out.

I look forward to seeing this take shape. Best of luck!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I think ill stick with aluminum for the cross shafts Ross lol :) I got some things made today , I decided not to wait on the figured maple I found some scrap wood and im using it for the skirts its lighter color so it contrasts the walnut very well , you ll never guess what it is lol.
Attachments
20170621_141117.jpeg
20170621_141117.jpeg (630.06 KiB) Viewed 6840 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

some parts i made today
Attachments
20170621_140342.jpeg
20170621_140342.jpeg (391.45 KiB) Viewed 6838 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Tomorrow Ill drill the holes for the cross rods and delrin bushings and get that all fitted up I believe ill go with a 2 and 3/4 inch spacing for three pedals , gotta get a new on and off switch for my lathe , I need that for making the rollers and delrin bushings plus work on the ALUMINUM cross shafts . Ill need to make another fret board the one thats shown is too narrow its for an 8 string . Anyways things are going good will keep posting for your pleasure and my enjoyment comments are welcome and advice is always welcome . thanks for looking . Rocky :) PS i do have some fret wire used for refretting a guitar neck maybe i could make a wood fret board and install the fret wire on that , a simple line will do the same thing anyways we ll see how it goes .
Last edited by azureskys on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I was contemplating should i glue the neck on the body or attach it with screws hummmm what to do what to do . :? What would look best a white fret board or black? the best finish would be Lac dont ya think or maybe poly ?
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Cross rod shaft assembly , aluminum rods delrin bushings and walnut brackets pedals set at 2 and 3/4 inch spacing knee s to be determinded . Ill machine the bell cranks from 3/8 inch aluminum and continue from there as required . Five long screws will hold it tight against the under body , glueing them wouldnt be a good idea just in case. ( the delrin is installed in a 1/2 inch hole and the rod hole size is 3 /8 I made one one time with just the rod inside the wood but im concerned with the wood swelling due to humidity so this time i used the delin which will not swell and cause a problem ,nylon will swell but not delrin . Well there ya go friends hope you enjoy and please comment , critique or advise . thanks for looking Russ
Attachments
20170622_124718.jpg
20170622_124718.jpg (264.08 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Here is an idea of what it will look like , Ill also put a walnut strip on the front skirt at the bottom , Im not going to do any staining , I like the natural wood look . I was also thinking of maybe stainless for the cross rods however aluminum works very well its a toss up we ll see . As for the rollers , brass stainless or aluminum ? I have had guitars with both brass and stainless and even aluminum they all seem to work well . Ill be casting some pedals of aluminum , i thought about casting some end plates but decided against it , ill do something else , forgot to mention it will have a 24 inch scale , thanks for looking comments welcome . Rocky :)
Attachments
20170624_204745.jpg
20170624_204745.jpg (448.03 KiB) Viewed 6786 times