Need changer specs

If it has Pedals...
Joe Alan

Need changer specs

Post by Joe Alan »

Gatherings info for first pedal build, 6 string 2 pedals 2 knee levers, could someone help with measurement for control, raise and lower fingers for all pull changer, I have built a couple of electric guitars and there is a ton of info on the internet for them but not so much for pedal steel
Thanks
maxi19

Re: Need changer specs

Post by maxi19 »

Here you go Joe,

I posted these drawings on page 5 of this link viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1223&start=40 if you look through the whole postings they will be helpful.

Regards Ron Mc
Joe Alan

Post by Joe Alan »

Thanks Ron for the help!
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Your Welcome Joe, good luck.

Ron Mc
George Price

Post by George Price »

rogerogrant

Post by rogerogrant »

Hi y'all!

I'm brand new to this forum and have changer questions! I reckoned I'd just tag on here rather than start a new thread....

I've looked through all 20 pages here in the Pedal Steel section and have already gotten a huge amount of info. So thank you!!
:D

Regarding changer design, it looks like 18ga steel is the preferred material for the scissor. How thick do y'all generally make the finger itself (oh, I think "changer finger" is often used to denote the whole assembly, but in this case I'm using "finger" to mean the top portion to which the string is attached and rides on).
Also, I'm a little foggy on the raise half of the scissor in the all-pull design. Does it attach or interface in some way with the finger, or is it just alongside - that is, does the lower actually push the bottom of the finger when the raise is pulled and pushes the lower forward, or is the other side of the finger machined or something to create a stop that the raise pushes on?

Dang, that's confusing to read but I think it makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

-Patrick
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Patrick,
Welcome to the forum, the pitch between the strings at the changer is normally 3/8" (or 10mm for the metric boys) so it depends on the style of changer housing you plan to use, whether it is a 'comb' type or just end housing blocks that will determine the dimensions or thickness of the finger material.
On a 'scissor type' finger, the lower allows the tension of the string to pull the finger.

Ron Mc
rogerogrant

Post by rogerogrant »

Thanks Ron!!!
I was planning on a "comb" type, but I'm not set on it. I'm wanting to build a 12 string if that reccomends one over the other...

My confusing question about the scissor is probably much easier with a picture, and it becomes "what does the other side look like?"

Those particular fingers appear to be riveted to the raise half of the scissor, but in other designs it looks more like the whole scissor apparatus is not attached to the finger and is just sandwiched alongside it.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Patrick,

I tried several different designs when I started building and the design I use now is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1223&start=40 I prefer the 'comb' type changer housing as it allows for a smaller diameter shaft (I use 1/4" dia tungsten cobalt tool steel) and the changer housing gives more support across the width of the assembly.
If you are intending to just build with only end support blocks you will have to use a larger diameter shaft, probably about 5/8" to try and stop any flexing. It doesnt take much flexing to drastically change the tuning of a string.
Attachments
tn_DSCF1864.JPG
tn_DSCF1864.JPG (72.84 KiB) Viewed 7662 times
tn_DSCF1862.JPG
tn_DSCF1862.JPG (78.83 KiB) Viewed 7662 times
tn_DSCF1861.JPG
tn_DSCF1861.JPG (79.4 KiB) Viewed 7662 times
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Nice stuff!