G-Steel #1

If it has Pedals...
sleepingdog

G-Steel #1

Post by sleepingdog »

Well, I've done a lot of work with the CAD software and I'm now at a point where I feel comfortable actually starting the build. So I've started cutting out the pieces for the changer. For the raise and lower plates I'm milling all of them at once by sandwiching them between some 1/4" aluminum plate. That approach seems to be working well. The only disadvantage is when you screw up, you screw up all of the pieces. I learned this the hard way with the lower plates - TWICE!. Oh well, live and learn, right?

Things will slow down here over the summer as I don't like to be stuck in my basement when the weather is nice. But I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.

Here are a few shots of the raise plates. I have still got to cut the v-groove in each and do the bend before I can mark them off as being complete.
Attachments
RaisePlatesSm2.jpg
RaisePlatesSm2.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
RaisePlatesSm3.jpg
RaisePlatesSm3.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
RaisePlatesSm4.jpg
RaisePlatesSm4.jpg (57.09 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Dave
Ross Shafer

Re: G-Steel #1

Post by Ross Shafer »

Great job! Those plates turned out really nice.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Your doing well m8, if I can help with any more info let us know.

Best regards Ron Mc. :D
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Thanks, Gents.

I'm almost ready to start milling the lower plates now. I just have to do some rough cutting with the band saw first in order to reduce the amount of milling that needs to be done. Hopefully the third time is the charm. I've already screwed up two sets of them. :oops:
Attachments
LowerPlatesSm1.jpg
LowerPlatesSm1.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Dave
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

I spent the evening making a jig and cutting the v-groove in my raise plates. Don't know if it's the right way of doing something like this but I'm just making this up as I go along. Seems to be turning out okay though so pushing ahead.

What do you guys think of using gun-blue on these steel parts? Was thinking it might make them look kinda cool.
Attachments
RaisePlateGroovesSm1.jpg
RaisePlateGroovesSm1.jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
RaisePlateGroovesSm2.jpg
RaisePlateGroovesSm2.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
RaisePlateGroovesSm3.jpg
RaisePlateGroovesSm3.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
Dave
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

It would give them a protective finish even if you didn't see much of them. I think you are doing well with them Dave.
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Still haven't finished the steel plates, but started working on the brass fingers. I'll do them in pairs to reduce waste. This is the beginnings of the first two. I'll get four more like this done before cutting them all apart on the band-saw and proceeding with the remaining machining steps so that I can minimize the number of tool changes and material set ups.
Attachments
BrassFingerStepSm1.jpg
BrassFingerStepSm1.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Dave
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Looks like your enjoying this Dave, you are aware that building them is addictive aren't you :o , I built one just to see if I could, I am now on my 4th and 5th. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best regards Ron Mc
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Warning noted, Ron :lol:

I have been having a lot of fun with this project. It's taken me many many months of research and learning to get to the point of starting the actual build, but now that I have it's become even more fun. I think building it will be the easy part, though. Once I'm done I'll have to learn how to play the damn thing :o Something about old dogs and new tricks....
Dave