Changer Housing Dimensions

If it has Pedals...
sleepingdog

Changer Housing Dimensions

Post by sleepingdog »

Now that I've settled on a changer design (for now, at least) I am turning my attention to the changer housing/block. I've been trying to find information on pickup dimensions so that I can size the opening for it properly. I haven't had much success, though.
I found this document that indicates dimensions for Lace Tonebars: http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/BB_specs.pdf
:?: Is there a "standard" size pickup or will I have to choose now which pickup I'm going to use and size the opening to fit it?

I'm also curious about the opening where the fingers poke up through.
:?: How far down below string level is the top of that opening generally?
:?: How much clearance on the left and right side of the fingers should I leave?
Perhaps I won't know the answer to the latter question until I have my finger design prototyped and know how much it has to move within the opening.

As always, thanks for the help.

Dave
Dave
maxi19

Re: Changer Housing Dimensions

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Dave

2" x 4 1/4" will accommodate most pickups unless you envisage building a 12 string

I'm also curious about the opening where the fingers poke up through.
:?: How far down below string level is the top of that opening generally?

I'm not sure what you are asking, but the height from the strings to the changer housing/block top is about 5/8" and the depth of the block to the bed is 1/2"
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

In re-reading my question I understand why you couldn't make sense of it, Ron. It has to be the worst worded question of all time.
I believe you answered it nevertheless.
I'll work up a model of the block and post it for comment.
Thanks the the response.
Dave
Dave
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Looking at the alumitone pickup linked above I see the height is 0.88". I read that people tend to set them 2 "quarters" thickness below the strings, or 2x0.069". If I go with 1 quarter's worth for maximum height, that would mean the bottom of pickup would be about 0.95" below the bottom of the strings. Presuming the strings are 1" above the cabinet, this would mean that the recess for that pickup would have to go right through to the cabinet, and the pickup would have to mount to the cabinet itself. This would only mean 0.05" of adjustment down from the "1 quarter below the strings" height. Doesn't seem like enough. I was going with the strings 1" off the cabinet based upon some dimensions given to me by Mac Knowles. What height do you guys put your strings above the cabinet? Is the alumitone a particularly "thick" pickup?

Dave
Dave
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Dave this ShoBud housing (specifically for a Super Pro) is 4.75" x 4.75"..the pickup whole is 4.5"x 1.375" I would make my pickup cutout more like Ron spec. no less than 1.75 and 2" if it fits your housing, I said 1.75" referencing my Bud housing it apparently is cutout for stock Bud pickups but I'm taking it out to 1.75" thats as wide as this housing permits. I have a Tonealigner for it that Bob Hofnar custom wound and it doesn't quite fit in the stock cutout oh and the axle support riser length is 3.25" outside to outside ..Stormy :mrgreen:
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Dave,
I make my recess through to the cabinet, the pickup is housed in the recess and screwed to the cabinet not the housing block, string to cabinet height on my guitars is approx 1.125"
Attachments
tn_Publication1.jpg
tn_Publication1.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Thanks guys. You've come though again.
Dave
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Dave what Ron said as to mounting to the deck surface is right on the money. I take it a bit further in that I measure and establish the position at preferred distance between the pickup and the strings, then calc the distance I have from the pickup bottom to the deck surface. I make a solid wood mounting block and attach it to the deck and then mount the pup solidly to this mounting block, of course you want put a couple old strings at #1 and #10 string to have a reference point for pup to string distance. Once I get the block thickness the proper dimension, I mount it solidly to the deck, and then pup solid against the top of the mounting block. I have been doing this tweak for the last 35-40 yrs to every guitar and bass I've owned and a few dozen more as a mod for many picker/friends . It's an old mod from Guitar Player magazine designed to increase sustain and it works...Stormy :geek:
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Great info. I'll do that. Thx.
Dave
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

I think I'm getting close to settling on a changer housing/neck/tuning head design.
Attachments
Changer Block v18.png
Changer Block v18.png (159.98 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Dave