sleepingdog

Re: LF thoughts on this finger design please

Post by sleepingdog »

18ga steel. The groove is about .018 deep
Dave
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Slow day yesterday. Nothing accomplished. Managed to turn a spring-winding mandrel tonight after work based upon a drawing posted by Bent Romnes. My second attempt at winding one worked out ok for the prototype. On the first one I was not prepared for how much wire actually goes into one of these springs.
Attachments
Return Spring small.jpg
Return Spring small.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Dave
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Not sure if anyone's interested in this stuff, but the forum is pretty quiet so I figured I would at least document my progress for the sake of any future noobs like me that stumble upon it....

Tonight I milled a little block of aluminum to support the finger assembly in the one-string mock-up. Already it has shown what I think is going to be a problem - restricted rotation of the finger.
Attachments
ProtoFingerBlockSmall.jpg
ProtoFingerBlockSmall.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Dave
ljs

Post by ljs »

I for one am very interested. Keep it coming. I at one time envisioned my self building a pedal steel, after 3 lap steels and a 4th in the pipeline, I can't seem to get motivated to finish the lap steel much less build a pedal steel :oops: . Maybe some day though. Hopefully I still have a few years left and may some day get one started at least ;) . I have a nice Smithy 1220 3 in 1, that I got 11 yrs ago when I retired with just this in mind, and a Grizzly G0759 mill that I got 3 yrs. ago. Maybe some day.
LaVern
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

I'm really having a blast with this, LaVern. So much to learn. Keeps the brain active.

Tonight I made a 1-string roller nut for the prototype. It, as with the finger block I posted about last night, will be bolted to a piece of plywood for the mock-up. Next will be something to hold one of my machine heads and then I can start bolting it together and get it strung.
Attachments
1-String Nut Small.jpg
1-String Nut Small.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Dave
ljs

Post by ljs »

Looks good!

LaVern
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

I believe the mill you have is the same as my G0704, LaVern, but with the DRO included straight from Grizzly if I recall correctly. I added my own cheap chinese DRO setup. I was screwing up too many parts trying to properly count how many times I'd turned the cranks :lol:. I still screw up fairly regularly, but not quite as often.
Last edited by sleepingdog on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Limo

Post by Limo »

Looking very good! So how long of a piece of wire did it take to do one spring?
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Limo wrote:Looking very good! So how long of a piece of wire did it take to do one spring?
Thanks. About 3 feet or so, Limo.
Dave
ljs

Post by ljs »

Yes your mill is the same but without the DRO. I added the power feed too. So far a pretty good mill but I think it has plastic gears. I crashed it once and was getting a tic, tic ticking, sound from my gear head. The gears weren't stripped but looking through the side flip up cover I saw that they were distorted a bit. I ran it for a while and it eventually quieted down. I think the gears are so malleable that they form corrected themselves somewhat. I read on the HobbyMachinist forum that there are metal gears available for it but haven't had any luck sourcing them out. Other than that it is a great little mill and I get quite a bit of work done on it. I actually removed the milling head from my Smith 1220 because I found the head to be in the way a lot when using the lathe and since I had the Grizzly why not.

Great progress on your build. Keep it going.

LaVern