LF thoughts on this finger design please

If it has Pedals...
Storm Rosson

Re: LF thoughts on this finger design please

Post by Storm Rosson »

Hi ya Ron, thanks for that link got put that url in my book what a fantastic variety of rivets and leather and leather supplies ,awesome. Thinkin about a leather loafer pad for the back deck. A little pricier but not a lot adios crappy vinyl shit.....Stormy :mrgreen:
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Here is the dimensioned drawing of the finger I am using on my new builds.

It makes for an easier pull with not to much extra pedal/lever travel
Attachments
tn_finger assy.jpg
tn_finger assy.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Ron what did you do ? Maybe change the scissor rivet position to gain a bit of leverage?or maybe the distance from the axle center to the pivot rivet ? :?:
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

The fingers were shortened and the space between the rod pulls were closed up to a 3 mm gap, the rod pulls were shortened from 25 mm to 20 mm length the position of the raise pull bracket and the pivot points remain the same 14 mm, the lower pull bracket was moved up to close the gap as it is easier to lower a string than raise it and the return spring doesn't have to stretch so far.

It adds up to the body not being as deep and the strength required to raise should be the same and the lower requiring less travel.

Best regards Ron Mc
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

So are you aiming at reducing the cabinet depth (top to bottom dimension)? I have always thought it was a bit deeper than most other cabinets, (not meant in a derogatory way, just an observation) now you have my attention and am anxious to see your next build and what ,if any, changes you make. In any event all your builds are top notch craftmanship and I remember you mentioning in a early thread that you were always thinking of what might be modified to improve/enhance your next build. I think that is the approach a true craftsman and builder should be taking. As always have large day Ron....Stormy :mrgreen:
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Thank you for your kind words Stormy, I keep trying to build a better 'mousetrap', it keeps me moving, I don't get around much now and the workshop is only yards away :lol: :lol:
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

I'm kinda in the same kayak but since my only "roomate" is my dog, I just live in my shop/home LOL, later dude...Stormy :D
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Update.
I spent some time yesterday milling out a finger from aluminum as a prototype. I was almost done and f'd it up by not paying attention to what I was doing. I have to learn to think through every single milling step before making a cut. Anyway, marking it down to a learning experience and will start again.

My rivets should be here in the next day or two, as should my PTFE sheet. My bearings should be here on Thursday.

Another screw up. I ordered the wrong size drill blank for my changer axle so ordered a replacement today.

My machine heads are waiting for me at the post office so I'll be able to finish my tuning head design - rather Ron's tuning head design :lol:

So I'm moving forward. Didnt' want you guys to think I'd given up or anything like that. (I don't have that gene)
Dave
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

@Ron, are you still using those little brass inserts you turned for the ends of your springs, or have you moved on to something else? I saw a thread where you posted some pics. Looks like a fairly easy thing to do so was thinking of copying that idea of yours as well. (I think when this guitar is finished, it is going to look quite familiar to you :lol:)
Dave
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

No Dave, they worked well enough but I now make custom springs on the lathe which can be adjusted with a 'self tapping' screw, on a mandrel based on a design by Bent Romnes.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=241&hilit=springs
Attachments
tn_DSCF1842.JPG
tn_DSCF1842.JPG (63.81 KiB) Viewed 2267 times