LF thoughts on this finger design please

If it has Pedals...
sleepingdog

Re: LF thoughts on this finger design please

Post by sleepingdog »

Storm Rosson wrote:I really do miss this kinda exchange WOOT!!...Stormy :ugeek:
I'm just glad you guys are here to have this exchange with me. I'm learning lots and my guitar will be better for it. Thanks!

:?: Is the teflon/ptfe you use sticky on one side or without adhesive?

Dave
Dave
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Most of it is but I have some sheets that are clean.I mostly use the sticky sided easier than trying to keep plain stuff in place during assembly.I am kinda amazed at the tuffness of this stuff guess it from the UHMW of the polymer, damn sure slippery when it lays down nice and flat, outstanding idea from Ron imho....Stormy 8-)
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Dave these compass cutters are obtainable from most 'Craft' shops, people use them for cardmaking etc, you can also get them on e-bay.
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Thanks Ron, I've got one on order.

Not having much luck finding a PTFE film supplier in Canada, or one in the States that will ship to Canada.

What do you think of these things?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099 ... PDKIKX0DER

Looks to me like it would do the trick. Already cut in circles, but that's not necessarily a bad thing I would think.

Dave
Dave
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Thats what I use as pads between scissor plates and pretty much any placce they fit. I can't find any that have a center hole of 5/16 so thats when I resort to hand punching or soon using a compass knife (thanks Ron), I'm lazy assed and have grown fond of the self sticking on one side. As long as I can get them in place and they lay smooth, they work great. If you get some ,put one on a finger plate and rub the two plates together I guess to simulate a friction problem and you'll notice the smoothness with the PTFE is friggin awesome esp compared to without the PTFE pad. They seem kinda flimsy/delicate when you're first start screwin with them but you just have to get them completely flat and smoothe. They do have drawbacks with some surfaces that are to irregular for them to stick to but often a little tweaking with a razor blade or something can fix that, and of course the surface must be uber clean, I use dimethyl ketone (acetone) as the cleaning solvent....Stormy :ugeek:
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Dave,

Have you tried this company http://www.eplastics.com/ptfe_sheet
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Thanks for the link, Ron. No, I hadn't found them. The minimum thickness they offer is 0.005". Good enough?
Dave
Dave
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hello Dave,

I use .25mm which is 0.010" and .5mm which is 0.020" and combinations of these makes anything I require.
Last edited by maxi19 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Bearings on the changer axle will kill sustain.
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Yeah killing sustain, hysterisis , etc. when Bud Carter built the ETS he used bearings on the axle and no detrimental effect happened ,in fact it was quite the opposite so most peeps on building side consider that a debunked myth. The fingers returned to pitch much better pretty much killing the hysterisys (sp) thing, and the smooth action ease of maintanence make well worth it IMHO...Stormy