Guitar Body

If it has Pedals...
Bill Ford

Re: Guitar Body

Post by Bill Ford »

Bent,
Hmmmmmm....Just for the heck of it, if you have a spray can of clear, or it's not too much trouble, spray the top/bottom half of both samples to see how the clear would change ,if any the shade. I don't remember how much it changes the shading on my project, I just remember that I was very excited when I put it on a sample piece of maple. FWIW...the color has not changed that I can tell, still a very brilliant deep red. This pic was taken 11/29/09...still red and shiny. Build date is sometime in 2001.
Bill
Attachments
5B.jpg
5B.jpg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bill, this is what I thought as well. I will do exactly as per your suggestion. I got some urethane around here I think. If I take the pic while wet, it should appear shiny like lacquer right?

By the way, you handsome brute, you! Sittin there behind your steel, almost as good lookin as the steel itself! I still marvel over that color.

I think we can disregard the one in my test where it turned out way too light on the birdseye. It is like I said...too hard and glassy right at that spot.
Hey guys, experimenting with the right amount alcohol and dye, can really bring out the exact shade you are after. I did another test with Red 75% and Alcohol 25%. That was closer to the red shade I have in mind.
Someone posted this shobud on SGF a long time ago. Now THAT is eye candy in my books!
red~natural bud.jpg
red~natural bud.jpg (120.48 KiB) Viewed 683 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bill, Here are the color samples with bottom half covered with lacquer. It didn't turn out too glossy, but we see where there is a small difference, especially in the hard maple, it turns darker. The hard maple is to the left this time.
colorsample2.jpg
colorsample2.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 661 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Bent,
I was thinking it would darken a bit, this gives anyone that is planning on finishing/refinishing a heads up on using a piece of scrap wood to know what it will look like when finished.

Also may mention that the dye can be removed/manipulated with fine sandpaper, or 0000 steel wool. If you are careful,you should be able to fade or blend color(s) for interesting results.

Have you tried wetting with alcohol before applying the dye to test for better penetration?? (just an afterthought)

Have fun...Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.