Guitar Body

If it has Pedals...
Allan

Re: Guitar Body

Post by Allan »

Food coloring?
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

It's too even for felt marker but man whatever it is I hope it comes in light blue like on the Finnish flag.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Bent wrote:Bill, I'll zip up.
Yeah, guys, make this a New Years guessing game. What did Bill use?
Leather dye on the raw wood? That's what we used at Dekley.
Jim Smith
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Emmons D-12 push pull 9&9=-
Stereo Steel rig w/Boss GX-700
IVL SteelRider w/JV-1080
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

Whatever you used, I like it!
2 of my Blanton guitars and my Sho~Bud professional need refinishing, and that is how I would like them to turn out.

Do tell.....
Allan

Post by Allan »

Eye of newt, wing of bat, hair of frog...

Dunno, but I do know this - I never subscribed to the 'black is best' school of thought and I also know that what we have here is a beautiful looking instrument.

When do we get to know the answer?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Fabric Dye ??

Please don't tell us you cut yourself that bad!
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Allan

Post by Allan »

Come on someone - tell us. I love the red against the natural look of the neck.

Tell me NOW or I will hold my breath 'till I am SICK! Then you'll be sorry.

Oh, OK, I won't but I am getting close to needing to finish a lap steel I am making and I would love to know the technique.

Allan.....

(p.s. - when I say 'close' I mean if the cold weather allows me to get some more done)
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Jim Smith wrote:
Bent wrote:Bill, I'll zip up.
Yeah, guys, make this a New Years guessing game. What did Bill use?
Leather dye on the raw wood? That's what we used at Dekley.

Jim got it....

Allan, you can breathe now,
I dipped the dauber 1 time to do the front apron, once to do the rear, twice to do the top. when I started spraying,I broke through when I did the steel 0000 wool between coats, just wiped that spot with fresh dye, let it dry, continued spraying, could not tell where the repair was made..When applying the dye, I let it set for about a minute, and wiped it with a clean cheezcloth to remove excess. It should be easy to do a multicolor,,sunburst by fading it with the steel wool, maple is so hard that it will not take more that one coat. Maybe Jim could enlighten us more. Get the smallest bottle that is available unless you have a lot to do. Maybe try mixing colors,and trying on a piece of scrap. no telling what exotic shades you may come up with. I topcoated with automotive clear lacquer,0000 steel wool between coats. The neck is natural walnut with just clear over bare wood. Light sanding with a fine grit will remove all traces of dye if you change your mind.

Have fun...Bill
Attachments
dye2.jpg
dye2.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Allan

Post by Allan »

So it wasn't 'Eye of newt, wing of bat, hair of frog...' then. I was so sure it was too.

Seriously though, thanks tons for the info on this. I fancy a bit of blue on the one I am doing.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Great info Bill.
Did you use alcohol or oil base type? I am sure a 4 oz bottle goes a long way. You can mix alc based with denatured alc and get the exact shade you want. And likely varsol (paint thinner)with oil base to get the same
Here is a contact for a supplier in ON. : http://www.brubachersharness.ca/index1.html
and Fiebing's home page in Milwaukee, WI, USA: http://www.fiebing.com/Home.aspx

I shall get me a couple of bottles and start experimenting.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.