Body Top Thickness Problem

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Body Top Thickness Problem

Post by Eldon »

I should have posted this separately this will sumarize and continue a tangent topic from the "Angle For Mounting Posts".

After making a small section of guitar body so I could visualize the pieces better, I need to make the thickness of my top less than 1 inch. It looks like my lower levers are too short for now. My pull rods are going to end up on an angle to the raise/lowers and bell cranks. So the big question is how thin can I make my top.................. I don't relish the idea of rerdoing my raise/lowers.

Bent's Reply:

Eldon, I would guess that the standard for top thickness is 3/4". I have seen some thinner, maybe as thin as 3/8" But wouldn't trust that unless the body has a metal framework. Then the top is meant to act as a sound board only. (MO of course)

I had the same problem as you do; getting my top most raise holes in the changer low enough. Without compromising thickness of the top, the only way will be to lower my cross shafts to the absolute maximum and to make the raise and lower bars longer, unless you want to bend your pull rods.

I still have an option for a top 3/8 inch thick. I'm considering 1 inch back and front aprons with a 1/8 inch aluminum rail running the length of them. To this I'd mount blocks where my crossrods mount and pivot.

I'll try and see what a 3/4 inch top would look like.

Another thing come to mind as I stare at the mockup is that with a deeper apron I could mount my bell cranks upside down for the raise levers. It might make things a bit awkward to set up and adjust. I'll post a sketch & see waht happens.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon