Question about split tuners

If it has Pedals...
Jason Lynch

Question about split tuners

Post by Jason Lynch »

Hi all
Can anyone explaine how split tuners work, the kind that has Allen keys in the back of the changer? What are they for? And how do they achieve a split tune? Thanks

Jason.
Ross Shafer

Re: Question about split tuners

Post by Ross Shafer »

Google is your friend, plenty of info out there including how to split without this allen screws behind the changer.
Jason Lynch

Post by Jason Lynch »

my current steel, a BMI, uses the pull from string nine to split the string 2 pull, but i find i haven't enough pull left to get string 9 down all the way. it ends up way sharp. was wondering if there's another way. have a few ideas in mind for my next steel which will be a home build.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Jason, think of them as "final lower tuners" instead. This opened up the door for me when I was wondering. the final lower tuning is what they do in reality... like the final lower on the 2nd string. It makes for a good solid tuning that doesn't wander. As a matter of fact you can tune all your lowers with these screws, whether you lower the string a half or a whole tone, as long as it is the FINAL lower.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

Jason,
Bent is correct.

Before you make any adjustments, check that the 'final lower screw' on string 9 hasn't wondered in, preventing the 1/2 tone lower.

If the screw is clear, increase the knee lever travel until the 9th lower is achieved, and set the 2nd string full-tone lower with its 'final lower screw'

Indeed, as Bent says, it's probably best to set both lowers with the changer screws.