Pull bars question from Steve B.

If it has Pedals...
Blacksb21

Pull bars question from Steve B.

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello everyone, sorry about my last question posted earlier, lots of looks just no replies, so here is my new question which is better, should my pull bars be made of steel or aluminum? or does it really not matter which materials. :?: :?: :?: :?:
azureskys

Re: Pull bars question from Steve B.

Post by azureskys »

It dosent matter as long as they do what you want them to do , Ive seen brass aluminum and plain steel also stainless steel , some older guitars had cables to pull a string with , some guys use welding rods , its up to what you want to use even a coat hanger , hows that for choice lol Russ
George Price

Post by George Price »

Go to your local welding supply house and buy a tube of 3/32 or 1/8 stainless welding rods. Should be around 17bucks a pound which is enough for a single 10 guitar
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello Guys, thanks for the advise on pull bars, I am making them out of Aluminum, guitar is almost done, need to make more pedal bars someday. Steve B.
George Price

Post by George Price »

Are you talking about pull rods or cross shafts? If you are talking about pull rods then I can tell you that if you make them out of aluminum they are susceptible to temperature changes. You most likely would have to use the 2024 alloy as well because the 6061T6 alloy is to soft.
It is the main reason why guys like Bruce Zumsteg shifted to stainless rods.
ljs

Post by ljs »

Gene Fields too said that the expansion co-efficient of aluminum was too much and would alter the tuning. I think stainless is your best bet but steel also would work. That just my opinion.
LaVern
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello George, no I am refering to the bell cranks that slide onto the cross rods, that I want to make them out of aluminum, the cross rods will be steel.
George Price

Post by George Price »

Ah ok...........bellcranks it is. I use 6061T6 for those and have done for years and the cross shafts I make out of 2024 aluminum. I use the 2024 alloy because I do not need to support the shafts in the middle with a nylon bushing because it is the strongest aluminum alloy out there. I will also save you a lot of weight too.
It is hard to come by because of it's price (14dollars for 8ft).
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello George, what are the width, length, and thickness of the bell cranks, I am trying to make them according to drawing of 3/4" wide their height is not much and thickness is 1/8" at the top of bell crank to 1/4" at bottom, can I make them a little bigger?
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

You can make the bellcranks any size you want. Dimensions are dictated by the method you use to attach them to the pull-rods that operate the changer. I never heard of anyone on here making tapered bellcranks though. The old push-pulls had fancy S-shaped bellcranks with pivot pins in fixed locations. Modern guitars use bellcranks with several points where you can attach pullrods, so you can time/balance the pulls. The Blanton uses a screw-adjusted setup so you have infinite variation in the position where the pullrod fixes to the bellcrank. There have been so many pictures posted on this forum if you take a look.