Split screws

If it has Pedals...
mac639

Split screws

Post by mac639 »

Would someone like to explain how the various schemes for compensating the resulting note when a raise and a lower on the same string are activated. I know about the extra pull rod idea etc. but what about the "split screw" idea. My concept of this is if you have an adjustment screw you can screw in a bit to bring the resultant note back up to pitch.....what happens when you only use the lower action....will the lowered note be "sharp" because of the screw you adjusted previously to correct the resultant note from the raise and lower of that string..
I must be missing something and I'd be most interested in hearing about this from you guys.
Bent....you say you have split screws on all the strings, can you give me an idea how they can work

Thanks
Mac
Bent

Re: Split screws

Post by Bent »

Hi Mac,
I like to think of the split screw as a "final lower screw". Anywhere you are lowering a string one note and then another one, you tune that last or final note the first half tone and use the nylon nut to accomplish this. Then, while holding the knee lever in, turn the 9th string nut so it just lays against the lowering arm. Then I keep pushing the knee lever and lower the 2nd string down to its second note. At this point, I turn the split screw to achieve this note. Now, the 9th string has also been lowered along with the 2nd. The note is likely a bit out. Tune it with the split screw on the 9th string

Likewise, where you both lower and raise a string, Example, the 5th. You raise the string on A ped, a whole tone, and lower it a half tone say with the vertical lever. Theoretically if you hit both the Aped and VKL, the resultant note should be a C. On some guitars it works out fine, on others it don't. Thats where you use the split screw to achieve the C note

In fact, if you so desire you can use the split screws to tune all your lowers

I know my explanations suck. I am sure somebody could explain this in a simpler way with fewer words. Go for it!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Likewise, where you both lower and raise a string, Example, the 5th. You raise the string on A ped, a whole tone, and lower it a half tone say with the vertical lever. Theoretically if you hit both the Aped and VKL, the resultant note should be a C. On some guitars it works out fine, on others it don't. Thats where you use the split screw to achieve the C note
Hi Bent...
Thanks for your input. This is what I was wondering about. So when you do the A pedal (B to C#), and the VKL (B to Bb), I expect to get a "C" note , which may be "flat". So you adjust the screw to bring it up to pitch, fine, no problem. However, does this not make the pitch "sharp" when only the VKL is used? (B to Bb).

Love your latest guitars, you've hit the "big time" with them, nicest of anything out there today, congrats!

Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mac, yep, you have to fiddle with it and find the happy median, like everything else it seems. on pedal steel. Guess I been lucky ...my steels seem to drop right into tune on these pedals/strings. I have this one guy, a real stickler for tuning, been a guitar player for 50 years. But he says he has never had issues with that pedal/lever and never had to use the split screw. I have it written up some place . If I come across it I will post it here.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

Mac,
The screws at the top of the changer arrest the backward motion of the changer finger, just like on a pull-release steel, and so are used to tune the lowest note.

The nylon tuner that would normally tune the lowest note is used to tune the 'split' note eg, tune the 5th string to C by raising the string with the 'A' pedal, and also activate the knee lever that lowers the 5th string both at the same time.
Tune the C (split) note with the aforementioned nylon tuning nut.

Release everything, then activate only the knee lever again, and the 5th string will be flat of the note (Bb) that you want

This is now the stage where you use the tuning screw in the changer housing, to arrest the 5th string finger at Bb, just like on a pull-release steel.

Because the knee lever nylon tuner is now set for an accurate split note, the changer finger overtravels when the knee lever is activated, hence the need for the tuning screws in the changer housing