Comeau #5 ( Update #1 )!!

If it has Pedals...
Jason Lynch

Re: Comeau #5 ( Update #1 )!!

Post by Jason Lynch »

totally gorgeous Pat.
I'm starting my own build now, and contemplating round bar vs Square. Round provides less manufacturing problems. how do you find it?
rtp_burnsville

Post by rtp_burnsville »

Very nice work Pat......
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Jason Lynch wrote:totally gorgeous Pat.
I'm starting my own build now, and contemplating round bar vs Square. Round provides less manufacturing problems. how do you find it?
Hi Jason,
To your question about round vs square shaft ...from my experience I had more slipperage problems with aluminum round vs metal, aluminum bellcranks seems to be tighter on metal round shaft with less torquing, with aluminum round bar I have to cut wider the bellcranks where it torques to have a tighter hold on the shafts, every parts like the... changer, bellcranks, pedals ect.. has to be right with minimum effort and travels, if one those are not in the norms you'll run into problems somewhere, either the travel is to long or to hard, when all the parts are made correct from the start there's no difference between round or square ,
the only advantage is on square shaft you can change or add bellcranks without having to remove the hole shaft assembly.
Hope this help.

Thanks for the compliments :D
Pat C :)
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Nice Steel Pat.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Your #5 looks like a professional build, Pat - lovely. I found myself a hollow mill so I can turn round ends on square cross-shafts, because you don't have to clamp the bellcranks on as hard. It's the work of a few seconds to put a round end on the shaft. As with everything, having the right tools goes a long way!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Another beauty! I love red guitars. Kudos Pat
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

bluesteel wrote:I found myself a hollow mill so I can turn round ends on square cross-shafts,!
I was looking for a hollow mill also... but didn't know what size it should be or the type, where did you get yours?... and what's the size and type?. :)
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Well Pat, I got a bit lucky because they seem to be a bit rare. I was looking for one at 3/8" or 5/16", but when the chance came to pick up one at 1/4" I jumped. That's still 6.25mm and it seems adequate diameter. It's quite old, somebody had died and his tool stocks were being sold off. Oddly enough (coincidence) it came from Canada.

Farmer, on this forum, showed how it's possible to build your own adjustable one. I think it was Farmer anyhoo.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Bluesteel
You were right check this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=453&p=3466#p3466
Jason Lynch

Post by Jason Lynch »

Will, You were very Lucky. I can't find one for love nor money at the moment.
Like hens teeth dipped in rocking horse manure.....