Is there a name for this type of simplified changer?

If it has Pedals...
erer44

Is there a name for this type of simplified changer?

Post by erer44 »

Hello,
I've seen set-ups similar to this on a few home-made steels over the years, and was wondering if there was a name for it, or any reason why I shouldn't use it on my first steel build. Dug through the forum history and couldn't find any others here.

The rods simply pull the string to raise the pitch, or are pre-pulled and release to lower it. Seems to me this would work as well as a typical changer. I'd use a roller bridge as well as a roller nut, and small rollers on the ends of the pull rods to keep everything moving smoothly.

Thoughts?

changer.jpg
changer.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Bill Ford

Re: Is there a name for this type of simplified changer?

Post by Bill Ford »

Never seen that setup before, Check this link for a pull release system, this is what I would use if a pull relaese system was to be used. Bill

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59&start=20
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Looks like it would work on paper but in reality who knows until you try it . If it works out then you know your idea is valid . It looks simple enough besides it is something new , id say give it a shot and see , after all the name of the game is to bend a string so to speak or raise or lower the pitch , does it really matter how you do that . If you have read a lot about steel guitars im sure you have heard how good the old marlens sound with a simple pull release system . Russ
erer44

Post by erer44 »

That's what I figured Russ. I'll build a model of one string with a raise and lower mechanism and report back in a few days. I'm not sure if the ones I saw had any strings that both raised and lowered.

It'd be great if this ends up being a far simpler changing mechanism for those of us who are more casual about pedal steel building. I'd really like to have a steel to noodle around with, but it's not an obsession or necessity. Not yet, anyway. :D

-Ed
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Well im interested in your idea so keep us posted , Russ
TonyRussellDavis

Post by TonyRussellDavis »

This looks like the retrofit arrangement that was added to some non-pedal guitars in the very early days. The pedal, via a cable, pulled on the relevant string between tuner post and the nut.
My gut feeling is that string breakage will be the major problem. Common places for strings to "go" are the roller bridge and the nut due to the repeated bend/unbending which weakens the metal. On your drawing two more places have been added to the vulnerable points. Also maybe tuning stability due to hysteresis may happen and the strings might be reluctant to return to pitch?
Your experiment will be a valuable contribution to see if these concerns are valid or not.
Best wishes, Tony.