cross bar bearing plate question

If it has Pedals...
Blacksb21

cross bar bearing plate question

Post by Blacksb21 »

Well at it again, I am working on my cross bar bearing plates for the underneath of my steel guitar, most pedal steel guitars use a little longer cross bar bearing plates 25 3/16 inch length, can I get by with a 25'' cross bar bearing plate, instead of 25 3/16" plate. answers or opinions greatly appreciated. Steve B.
Bent

Re: cross bar bearing plate question

Post by Bent »

Hi Steve, if it is the side rails you are talking about, yes then you can get away with that measurement. As for the way I do it, it is an arbitrary measurement since I screw the side rail ends to the end plate inside "wraparound" in my attempt to make a solid metal frame.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

That should work just fine, Steve. I believe the major contribution these members bring is to increase the "beam strength" of the guitar, thus reducing cabinet flex or drop. They will do that even if they aren't fixed to the internal endplate "wraparounds", but if you can it looks so elegant! The provision of bearings for the cross-shafts is almost an incidental benefit!

Will
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello guys thanks for the replies, I decided to stick with the requirements of the prints or drawings and go with 25 and 3/16' instead of just 25" on the bearing plates, and you guys are correct I am referring to the plates up underneath the guitar that the cross shafts go into, I decided to stay with the drawings spec because it can be a small factor in having a good sound, if I deviate from the drawing the sound could be effected, but probably not much though, but best to stick with the drawings, or standard build. Steve B.
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hey Guys I have another question on cross bearing plates, I am getting ready to make plates should the holes be milled out on a CNC or can I drill them out on a drill press? Steve B.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Steve, you can drill them on a drill press, just be accurate with your spacing. clamp them together and drill both at the same time. That way, if you are off a hair, it will be the same "off" on both and it wont matter. The height (distance from edge) has to be accurate though.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello Bent thanks for the reply, I was trying to copy the original bearing plate because I did not have enough to do another guitar for myself, I did clamp them together, just glad I can do them on the drill press, again thanks Bent.