Left handed Steel Questions

If it has Pedals...
fzartvaark

Left handed Steel Questions

Post by fzartvaark »

Like to pick your brains gentlemen. I'm about to undertake my second steel project and have a few ( hopefully not too dumb) questions.
Let me preface this post by saying that I am a dyed in the wool lefty. No changing that. I play banjo, guitar and a little fiddle, all on left handed instruments. My first steel I built right handed as I thought it would be easier if taking lessons, sitting in ( if I ever got that proficient) passing on to my sons or grandsons or even selling it. I've tried and tried to learn this instrument playing right handed but picking with the right hand just doesnt work any where near as well as with the left. So I would like to build a lefty. Also would like to build either a U-12, as I like the C6 sound, or a D-10. Now for the (dumb?) questions. a. Should I keep the pedal arrangement left to right? b. Keep knee levers the same? What are other lefthanded players doing? Thanks for any input.

Frank

Bent...As soon as this ice age we're having ends, I'd like to head your way for a visit if the offer still holds
Bent

Re: Left handed Steel Questions

Post by Bent »

Sure, Frank, stay in touch ...busy here with family stuff and building, so we got to line up a day that is mutually convenient
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Frank,
Everything reversed, Left to right pedals,A/B/C would be on the other end...right to left A/B/C, the left cluster, L/V/R, would be on the right end with the same spacing, and configuration to correspond with the A/B/C pedals, the RH knee levers would be on the LH end. The 1st string, F# plain,would be the side ,furtherest from you.This setup will help you to use tab with the least amount of problems. All this being said, holding your guitar in the playing position,do you string your 6 string E (plain E ) on the bottom, or top?

If you have a camera, take a picture of you sitting at your PSG, right handed, with a good view of pedals, and levers,and mirror the image, and you will see what I am talking about......Hope this is not too confusing.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

This is what the configuration should look like when finished...Bill
Attachments
Emmons LH.jpg
Emmons LH.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.