Pull rod/bell crank retainers

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Pull rod/bell crank retainers

Post by Bent »

Eons ago I promised to post instructions on how to make those little clips or retainers for the pull rod. Here we go.
All it takes for the jig is a piece of scrap wood. Mine is 1 1/2"X 3/4" maple, that I clamp in the vise.Get 2 rod scraps about 3" long. You stick those in the holes drilled thru the wood. Holes should make a snug fit for the rod so it won't slide. the hole spacing depends on the width of your bell crank so the retainer clears the crank ok. For me, the hole spacing is about 1".
The first pic shows the wire description - #12 music wire.
Ret1.jpg
Ret1.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Cut a 6" length or so of wire and bend a 90 on the end. this bend goes under the top screw in the jig, for holding.
Ret2.jpg
Ret2.jpg (41.64 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
With the wire attached to the jig, you tap the bottom rod to the left and out of the way
With small vise grips clamped on the end of the wire you wind the wire around the rod 5 times, making sure you pull the wire very tight all the time.
Ret3.jpg
Ret3.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Next post to follow.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Re: Pull rod/bell crank retainers

Post by Bent »

Here is a close-up of the 5 coils...go a bit beyond the 5 so that the spring keeps its 5 revs when you relax the wire
Ret4.jpg
Ret4.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
To make the second coil, you tap the top rod to the left, leaving just enough sticking out to hold on to the coil. Then you tap the bottom rod in so you can wind the second coil. That can be 2 revs.
Ret5.jpg
Ret5.jpg (49.87 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
When that one is done, you loosen the top screw and slide the retainer off the rods. You will end up with excessive wire at both ends. Use side cutters to trim off close to the coils. If you want extra smooth finish, sand the cut-off ends with a belt sander, taking care not to touch the coil to the belt.
Ret6.jpg
Ret6.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Now you clamp the wire in needle nose pliers where you want to make the bend to an L shape. hold firmly with pliers while bending the long arm of the L with your thumb, or with another pair of pliers. Bend just beyond the 90 degrees so as to create some springiness, making the retainer want to stay on the rod. You'll have to experiment with the small arm of the L that best suits your preference and the width of your bell crank. Also, the length of the part in between the coils should be experimented with so that you are happy with the overall looks of the retainer.
Ret7.jpg
Ret7.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Stick the rod into the 5 coil part of the retainer, like so. Note that I have been a bit sloppy with this one: too much space between coil windings and the retainer isn't bent beyond the 90 deg.
Ret9.jpg
Ret9.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Here is the retainer installed on the bell crank. Happy building!
Ret9.jpg
Ret9.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Attachments
Ret8.jpg
Ret8.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

A good one Bent, thanks for the info.

Best Regards

Ron Mc
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

I love tools like this, very cool Bent!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Nice Bent, . Russ
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

Simple ,but very effective. Thanks for the valuable information.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Thanks guys. For you Thiel, here you go my friend.
joe

Post by joe »

Bent,
Many thanks. A great tool, simple to build and it works great. What more can you ask for?
Joe
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Bent ,I just want to say you are an awesome friend to everyone, and an excellent builder, always ready to share ideas and techniques to anyone, thanks from all of us psg lovers/builders buddy! Stormy :)