Pedalap Steel Guitar, or 'Hybrid Pedal/Lap Guitar'

If it has Pedals...
Elektro

Pedalap Steel Guitar, or 'Hybrid Pedal/Lap Guitar'

Post by Elektro »

I've been thinking for a long time about making a guitar that is sort of a cross between a Pedal Steel Guitar and a Lap Steel Guitar. The idea is that the guitar is a full on Pedal Steel Guitar, with a bit more portability, and no set up time. To accomplish this I decided to connect the foot pedals to the guitar body using cables. I'm initially calling this a 'Pedalap' guitar, although I'm not sure I'll stick with that name. The body is maple wood. I'm using aluminum for the under frame and finger housing. I've gone though at least a dozen different ways until I came up with my present design. The strings can either be raise or lower, depending on how the connecting rods are attached underneath. I have my tuned to open E (E - G# - B - E - G# - E). I can raise/lower any of the 5 strings, I'm not bothering with bending the low E or 6th string. I set pedal 1 to raise the 5 and 2 stings (open G#, or III) 1/2 note. I raise both strings together, yet can tune them independently and stop independently so they stay in tune. Pedal 2 raise the 4th string (open B, or V), to C#. Hence, I can get the IV chord. By using pedal 2 I get a minor chord, which would be the VI of the base chord (example: bar 5 is C major, and with pedal 2 pressed it is Am). Pressing both pedals gives me the IV chord. :) I also set pedal 3 to lower sting 4, which is open E, one full step, so I have a 7th chord. On this guitar I'm also adding a 4th pedal to lower string 1 (open E, or VIII) 1/2 step to get a major 7 chord. So with my pedals setup I can play any major, minor, 7th, or M7 chord. Unlike my first pedal steel, I do not set this guitar to lower the III 1/2 step for a minor chord, as I acheive this by raising the 5th to 6th, and this works because I only have one string that is the V..

The guitar is kind of heavy to really be a lap steel, although it could be set on the lap, or played using a shoulder strap, or set on a table. I also plan to make a stand for it, and a case. This is my first one like this, my prototype. After this build, next year I'm going to build and sell some of these, once I work out the appearance a bit. The under carriage will at least have side covers of wood or aluminum, and I might completely enclose the underside, as there is no need for it to be open, unless there is need of mainenance.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of what I've got so far. I hope to finish this week, but not sure if I can do so. I'll be leaving on vacation around the Dec 22n, 'til end of year, so, if I do not finish it, it'll be next year 'til it's done.

When I finish this guitar I will do a few Youtube videos to show how it plays and sounds. I set the pickup to be as close as possible to the bridge for a brighter sound than my last guitar (had the pickup farther up the neck.) Actually, it's too close and I need to move it back away because it's too hard to change strings. :(

Hope all this does not sound scattered and hard to follow?

Comments or questions?

Wayne (Elektro)
maxi19

Re: Pedalap Steel Guitar, or 'Hybrid Pedal/Lap Guitar'

Post by maxi19 »

It looks very interesting Wayne.

Ron Mc
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

That's what I like , someone who isn't afraid be different , hope this works out for you . Russ
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

azureskys wrote:That's what I like , someone who isn't afraid be different , hope this works out for you . Russ
Thanks Russ!

Yesterday I put the stings on, as I was curious as to what kind of sound it produces. it has amazing sustain. It also has an extremely different sound as compared to my first build. This guitar has a very bright crisp sound. I put the pickup as close as possible to the bridge, to accomplish this. I had to remove the pickup and back plate in order to string it up, not good. I think on my next one I'm building, rather than move the pickup farther away from the bridge, I'll make the fingers so the sting will feed up from the end and through the finger.

I changed the string tuning to as follows, in open E:
E - G# - E - G# - B - E

My son in law plays the lap pedal guitar, and said my tuning I had it set to made it difficult for him to play. I set string 5 to G# instead of B because I like the 5th string to be the base note when changing to the IV chord. However, strings can be set however someone wants them, and to be raised or lowered as they see fit, with adjustments to the connecting rods underneath.

I changed out the fretboard for another design. I'm still working on this design. I'll be changing it again. These are easy to make, but trying to come up with a nice looking design.

I still need to make the covering for the underside. I also need to make the foot pedal mechanism. I'm anxious to be able to bend the strings (well, stretch).

It is not too heavy to set in my lap and play. Have not weighed it as of yet.

I'm going to hook up a shoulder strap, so I can play it standing up. Has there ever been a pedal steel that can be played like this, using a shoulder strap, standing, and using foot pedals?

I found a case that looks like I can make it work. I could make one but might take a lot of time. I wonder if there are any good sources for Pedal Steel Guitar cases?

I think I like the name 'Lapedal' better than 'Pedalap' ??

In January I'll be selling at least one of these, on eBay.

Elektro (Wayne)
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

You might consider painting some also, different colors and offering some sound bites as well , maybe some different tunings also . Russ
Elektro

Re: Pedalap Steel Guitar, or 'LaPedal", Video Added

Post by Elektro »

Here is a link to a short YouTube Video of my new Pedal Steel Guitar, which I might call 'LaPedal' ??
I'm not finished with it, I need to make the bottom cover, and a stand or legs for it. It can be played as a lap guitar if desired, or set on a table, or shoulder strap, or set on a stand as normal pedal steel guitars are. Probably the best way to play is on a stand (need to make the legs and all.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZ8bpLQzDE

The sound of this guitar is very bright, I don't know if it's too bright? Maybe you can get an idea from my poor video?

Wayne
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

From your vid on youtube your guitar has much potential, it does sound a little brite, but in future builds you can remedy that im sure. Keep us posted as to your progress , I like what you are doing. Russ
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

I wanted to add a post here with a few more comments on this Guitar I built. I discovered that the foot pedals connected by cables is kind of clunky to move around. I really don't think this was such a great idea, and I will most likely not build another one. I put four short aluminum legs on it so I can set it on a desk, for playing. I have played this a lot, and it continues to perform quite well. Once a cable came loose and I had to tighten it. (These are bicycle brake cables, btw.) Eventually I will put some sides on it to cover the insides. Right now I do not have a lot of interest to spend more time on it. It works, I'm playing it.

Here are a few more pictures of it with the short legs on it:

Mainly I just sing for personal use, sing songs to the Lord. Here is a short video of a song I like a lot:

http://youtu.be/k2QYFnXZcgU

My current pedal steel guitar I'm working on is an all aluminum 7 string pedal steel guitar. I may post about it later. It is similar in concept to my first two pedal steel guitars, tuned to open E, and pedal function is about the same as this guitar. It will have rods for the pedals, and will break down for transport like most pedal steel guitars do. Eventually I plan to build a 10 string, E9 tuning, I'm kind of working up to that, gradually.

Wayne
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Its interesting to see the foot pedal arrangement you have on this guitar , could you explain it more and how it works ? Russ
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

azureskys wrote:Its interesting to see the foot pedal arrangement you have on this guitar , could you explain it more and how it works ? Russ
Pedal 1: Raises string 3 & 5(G#) 1/2 step to A
Pedal 2: Raises string 2 (B) to C#.
Pedal 3: Lowers string 4 (E) to D for dominant 7th
Pedal 4: Lowers string 1 (high E) to D# for M7th

Cables from pedals connect to rods to pull the fingers. The two fingers that raise together pull from one cable, then into a splitter, so each finger can have it's own stop and be tuneable.

The design was super hard to adjust the raise stops. The cables to foot pedals needed to be detachable from the guitar, and it was clunky to move around. I finally tore this guitar apart. Although it worked just fine, I decided I didn't like it much, and want make a palm pedal lap steel guitar out of it, similar to the following one I already made:

Wayne