Knee Levers

If it has Pedals...
Fred Wright

Knee Levers

Post by Fred Wright »

I want to add 2 knee levers to an Emmons GS10 student model. Questions:
1. Do I need special knee levers, or will any kind be OK?
2. What parts do I need to do the job? I have nothing yet.
3. Where do I properly place the levers? (diagram needed)
4. Any Suggestions and offers appreciated.
5. Have I forgotten anything??
Thanks, Fred
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Knee Levers

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Fred.

Post pictures of the undercarriage so people can see and make suggestions. Just a thought. Good luck buddy!

Paul
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Paul,
Sorry, but I don't have a way to do that. Fred
burt

Post by burt »

The actual knee levers don't have to be Emmons, but the bits that are connected to the changer, which is a push pull, need to be of similar dimensions to what's already on there, as some rods pass through more than one bellcrank.

Depending on what raises/lowers you're going to put on there, you're going to need bellcranks, half-tone tuners, pull/push rods, maybe some little wire hooks that connect the pull rods to the changer fingers (if you're raising), shock springs, collars, 2 cross-shafts, and maybe some spacers that go on the push rods, between the finger and the collar (if you're lowering).

Knee lever positioning depends on your preference, I always try to put an aluminium plate (about 1/4" thick) in the approximate mounting area (using any existing screw holes that might already be in the body) and mount the knee levers to that plate.
If I get the positioning wrong, I'll move the knee lever until I'm happy with the position.

If the aluminium plate looks like a piece of cheese, with tapped holes all over it (from unsuccessful trial-and-error knee lever positioning), I'll just throw the plate away and start again, with no damage done to the PSG.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Thanks Burt I really appreciate the advice. Fred
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Fred -

Read and heed Burt's last two paragraphs! The location of the levers need to be in a position where YOU ARE COMFORTABLE! There's no sense in undergoing surgery to add another joint to your leg just to activate a pedal and lever simultaneously. Try sitting at the instrument and note where your leg passes under the rear apron. Project that position into the instrument in order to get a ball-park location.

Then read Burt's last two paragraphs again!

A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Richard