azureskys

Re: Keyless tuning module

Post by azureskys »

hi Mac , here is my email address, rockyoneandonly@yahoo.com, thanks Russ
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Mac -

Not to get nit-pickey, but are the threads on the "lead screw" fine enough for real fine tuning? A curious mind wants to know.

Richard
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Richard.....
I never gave the thread count much thought, seems to be OK. It's 8-32 which is what I use on almost all the parts on the guitars I build. Actually the guitars that I build now can be taken completely apart with one #8 (red) Robertson screwdriver, no Phillips and no Allen wrenches needed.
Mac
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

If it works then that's all that matters. Good show.

Richard
jcbartee

Post by jcbartee »

I would appreciate the dimensions. My email is jcbbartee@gmail.com
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Hey Mac,
Just wondering, if you pass the string thru the small hole then bring it up over then around the screw, you will be putting a very sharp angle on the string. I remember way back when I first started to mess with a regular guitar I didn't wrap the string a few times around the tuning peg and would snap the string. Maybe I am looking at it all wrong, if I am straight me out, otherwise you may need to redesign a little bit. Maybe run a string thru the way it is supposed to work, then we can understand how it works.

Good Luck Mac......................Mike (Farmer)
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hey Mike..... No, the string doesn't get wrapped around the screw at all. Just passes through the hole, pulled snug, and the screw is tightened down on it. The first one I made did have a bit of a problem, I made the pass through hole a bit too big and had a problem tightening the smaller strings like the 3rd. The last one I made I made the "string hole" really small and problem solved. Blowin' my own horn a bit.....this tuner works really well.
Cheers,
Mac
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Mac, I am really confused. I haven't seen the drawings so I don't know how the string is trapped in the sliding part. If you simply trap it under the foot of the screw, where the string goes through the block, well and good - altho' I'd be worried about that coming loose.

But Farmer was worried if the screw head traps the string after it exits the back of the block and comes back on itself. That is an awful sharp bend and, if it's load bearing at the point, it may not snap the string now but I fear it will. How is the string secured?

Will
mac639

Post by mac639 »

No,no,no.....no worries. The hole that's threaded for the 8-32 screw crosses the hole that the string goes through just a little. (just enough so I could complete the threading of the hole) I just round the end of the 8-32 screw a bit to take off any sharp edges. Screw it down tight against the string. As I said, the first one I made I made the string hole too big and the small .011 strings would I guess go off to the side and the 8-32 screw wouldn't trap them. I forget the size hole I use now, but a .068 string will just go through, and as the 8-32 screw end is much bigger than that there's no place for the string to escape off to the side. It does not slip.
Cheers,
Mac