Pedal connector question

If it has Pedals...
dgalloway

Pedal connector question

Post by dgalloway »

Does anyone use the quick disconnect ball and socket on the pedal and at the bell crank instead of bending a hook on the end of the pedal rod. Seems to me this would be a more solid connection and also give you another place for pedal height adjustment plus easy assembly. What are the down sides to doing it this way vs the hook? Fire away :!:

Dave G
Zum StageOne, Peavey Session 400, Fender Tele, CyberDeluxe,
Ross Shafer

Re: Pedal connector question

Post by Ross Shafer »

Sierra and MSA have both used those connectors instead of a hook. If I recall correctly, my pal Tom Baker of Sierra told me that when Buddy Emmons played Sierra's he called 'em "finger biters".....
dgalloway

Post by dgalloway »

Thanks Ross, you've confirmed it's ok to go that route. Major players use them it must work and for me it cutting a rod to length and threading is much easier than bending a hook and getting it right. Two arguments against the connectors I'm sure would be added weight and cost. Just like building an airplane, both are important but sometimes simple is better, also I do see similarities in someway between both the steel and the airplane and I sometimes wonder if the late, great Jeff Newman also felt that way before his tragic untimely death in his Ultra-light, a super talent gone too soon :!:

Dave

P.S. I have a supplier of $2.50 on connectors which helped make my decision :)
Bent

Post by Bent »

dgalloway wrote:
P.S. I have a supplier of $2.50 on connectors which helped make my decision :)
Hi Dave, would you like to share the contact info for this supplier? That price is unbeatable!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
dgalloway

Post by dgalloway »

Here ya go Bent, hope this works. I found this site and the picture and specs appear to be correct for the application. Let me know what you think as I am about ready to hit the button on the order for qty. of 10 @ $2.56. Here is the link http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=2413 The part number is QD187 and the Company is Midwest Control Products. Only drawback I see is that they don't allow returns if you order the wrong thing, only for defective product which is why they claim they can keep pricing down. Thanks in advance :)

Dave G
Bent

Post by Bent »

That's the one, Dave. I hope they will deal with "foreigners"..so many outfits in the states will only deal with a business, not the public.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
dgalloway

Post by dgalloway »

Just placed my order and it went thru with no problem and have my invoice. If you have any problems let me know and providing I receive my order, I would be more than happy to get some more and send them your way ;)

Dave G
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Dammit, I had to pay four times that for a set of 10.... :mrgreen:
Wish I'd known of this outfit before I ordered. :lol: