D-008 (for now)

If it has Pedals...
Bent

D-008 (for now)

Post by Bent »

The D stands for Double 10. Thought I would attempt a D10 this time.
Trying my hand at aluminum necks as well. Uncharted territory so wish me luck!
These pics show the hollowing out of the underside. Pretty hard to cut on a slant (or curve) with a manual mill..this is what CNC's are made for!I plan on making the sides about 1/4" thick and the top about 1/8".
Neck~rough.jpg
Neck~rough.jpg (120.41 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Neck~Rough1.jpg
Neck~Rough1.jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Re: D-008 (for now)

Post by Georg »

Interesting. Good luck.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Wow! Bent,
with that much ali being cut away maybe your next project should be a furnace and moulding exercise.

Good luck and much respects
Ron Mc
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent Romnes - the scrap aluminum generator!
na4it

Post by na4it »

Shoot, save the scrap and mold your own end plates! :lol:
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

You're a brave man Bent! If you want to save a big bucket load of hand filing/sanding. You might making a thin mdf template to use in conjunction with a router table or pin router if you can find one to use) once you get the necks close to your final profile. Use double stick carpet tape to stick the neck to the template then cut away....carefully, you don't want to send your neck flying across the shop.

I believe there's some video of Ed Fulawka using a router table to shape aluminum parts on youtube.

There's a number of places on the net that can laser cut or cnc the template for you and it shouldn't cost too much. Best though if you can send them a digital CAD file of your profile. If you don't have any way to make the CAD file, I'd be happy to make one up for you if you send me a drawing with all the pertinent dims.

Lookin' good!
Bent

Post by Bent »

HI yall thanks for the nice comments. Yes, Richard, I am a chip accumulator. Just took a bunch to the junk yard and got $60 for it. Thought to save it for getting into home foundry but so far no luck with that - no time!

Ross, Yes, it is basically how I do it, with a template made out of 3/4" maple, bolted to the neck. But first I cut out the rough profile on the band saw, to within 1/32" hopefully. Then, with the template bolted on I use a 1/2" flush trim bit in the router to cut the outer profile.
Thanks for your kind offer! I will most certainly take you up on that, if not for the neck, then other parts.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.