Return spring strength

If it has Pedals...
dgalloway

Return spring strength

Post by dgalloway »

Would anyone know if there is an average pull weight on return springs for the lowering fingers? This is an all pull changer and any info would help as a starting point. Haven't seen anything on this, but I know they have to be strong enough to keep hold them against the stops in the neutral position. Thanks!

Dave G.
Last edited by dgalloway on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zum StageOne, Peavey Session 400, Fender Tele, CyberDeluxe,
Storm Rosson

Re: Return spring strength

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Kinda rule of thumb is to look at the finger being pulled (when tuned ), if the lower part of the finger that rests on the stop bar, is pulling away from the bar when activated, then tighten the spring until it pulls the finger back against the finger stop bar. ;) don't over tighten.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Stormy -

Are you referring to the following tuning technique: - When a raise is activated on a string, the lower finger should not leave the stop. If it does, then tighten the return spring screw until it remains fixed.

Richard
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Yepper :mrgreen: I mention over tightening cause it can cause the lower changes to be too stiff.
dgalloway

Post by dgalloway »

This is my first build and was wondering if the spring should be like 1/4 inch dia. and then what a good starting strength would be, 1 lb., 2 lb., etc., and also does someone have a diagram of how they do the adjuster? Thanks again.

Dave G.
burt

Post by burt »

I have a post on return springs in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74

It doesn't answer the question of spring strength, but I do elaborate on my mantra that short return springs can lead to a heavy lever action when a string is dropped two or more semitones.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

I'm certainly not dunning Burt's response but, if you go to McMaster-Carr, you'll find a wide range of springs of various diameters, end configurations, starting tension, spring rate and lengths - both starting and extended.

Once upon a time, I had used a decent spring scale to measure the strength of the return springs on my Dekley. All of the various "data" that I had gathered over a couple of years was lost when my house burned to the ground this past June. My dim-bulb memory does not recall the numbers. My best suggestion is to make an educated guess, buy a couple of springs from McM and go from there. They're cheap enough. When you find the right one then you'll have the peace of mind in not having to ever think about it again.

Richard
dgalloway

Post by dgalloway »

Thanks for all the posts. I believe this should get me going. Burt's link showed using a scale with a hook which should give me a real close starting point and I will then go to McMaster-Carr and order up some springs. Sorry to hear about the house Richard, I'm sure that must have been devastating. Will advise on the outcome when I have it working. Thanks again for all the help.

Dave G
Jon B

Post by Jon B »

I don't have an answer for your question, but I thought you might be amused by this photo my girlfriend snapped of me doing a goofy thing: checking the pull needed to overcome string tension by putting weights in a plastic bag. This was to determine roughly what spring I needed for the E lower on this pull-release guitar. I just took the bag of weights with me to the hardware store and tried various springs on it. Bought the right spring on the first trip!
Attachments
P1010394.jpg
P1010394.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Just another enthusiastic tinkerer. Never built one from scratch.
dgalloway

Post by dgalloway »

Looks like a great idea to me and it is always good to use gravity when you can. When I saw the pic it had to work because their is just something about a barstool and a "Bud" that always works for me :lol: Thanks for the post.

Dave G