My Sheffield D10 is slowly taking shape

If it has Pedals...
Blacksb21

Re: My Sheffield D10 is slowly taking shape

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello Dave, I practiced on a piece of wood to fit the decorative edge binding in, I used a sample piece, but even with the dremel guide I could only get one side of the edge binding to fit correctly but the top of the edge binding would not, my edges were not straight how do I adjust this, maybe my bit just a little too small, I am using the standard wood binding, any suggestions? Steve B.
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi Steve,

As you know the dremel bits are very small, so care is needed here, you need the touch of an angel, very softly and gently, you need the patience of a Saint!!!! believe me!!!! Here's a tip, start off with a small width of inlay and if it goes wrong you can always make it a little wider to suit your bindings/purflings. Very fine cuts are needed, just take your time. If you need a sharp edge, just score a line with a Stanley knife using a metal straight edge/rule and just work to the lines. this should give you a neat edge, also be mindful of which way the grain of the wood goes, because routing the opposite way to the grain can some times cause the wood to tear. I do hope this helps. Dave. :ugeek:
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Ok This is where I call in master pain my Chinese imaginary master who teaches me patience is a virtue and that I must become one with the guitar to put this edge binding on, well I should go meditate before I begin again on my scrap piece. yes Dave it helps a lot, I will practice this first, I will keep you informed, as soon as I get it done I will post pictures.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

That Tuning head is a nice piece of work Dave.

Ron Mc
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

This inlay thing is an art form. I got a really good book on it. An excellent tip was to score around the edge of the piece of cut inlay with an Xacto knife, then rub chalk dust into the cut so you can see it. With a depth stop, just rout it out until you get to the line. You can rough most of it, it's only next to the line where you need to go slowly and carefully.

Will C
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Well I think I got the edge binding figured out, I have to use a flat aluminum bar clamped down on the apron of the guitar for my straight edge guide, and allow my dremel to follow along this edge guide to keep it straight, and keep it just inside the line.
sheffield steel

I'm slowly getting there, just waiting for the neck, peg head & 3 more Knee levers to be machined for my new Sheffield D10 9+8. I hope that Santa will call this Christmas, I will post some better photos of her when she is completed.

Dave. :D
Attachments
My D10 029.JPG
My D10 029.JPG (81.78 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
My D10 023.JPG
My D10 023.JPG (72.64 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
My D10 021.JPG
My D10 021.JPG (79.33 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
Last edited by sheffield steel on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
sheffield steel

Just another photo for all you techies out there. She has 18 pulls on E9th with 3 pedals & 5 knee levers & 23 pulls on C6th with 6 pedals & 5 knee levers, 2 knee levers work on both E9th & C6th.

Dave. :ugeek: :D
Attachments
My D10 028.JPG
My D10 028.JPG (84.64 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Looks like I have a long long way to go Dave to reach this standard.

Best Regards

Ron Mc
sheffield steel

Ron my friend you are already there, judging by your work that I've seen.