Shop origanization need help

If it has Pedals...
Blacksb21

Shop origanization need help

Post by Blacksb21 »

Ok guys my bench is a mess can't find a thing, I have pegboard above holding my tools but I am finding I need two benches, can you guys advise me on how to organize my shop so I can build these guitars, how do you store the guitar bodies waiting to be built someday, same with endplates, necks, key heads, pedal board, finger changers raise and lowers, guitar legs, I have a table saw, drill press, buffer polisher, grinder, scroll saw, and that new saw that home depot has that works like a band saw but on a small metal table looks a bit like a large scroll saw, but cuts wood metal plastic, and other materials in patterns use it on my finger changers, and my little milling machine, just want to keep everything neat and organized, just need a little advise on how to do this.
mac639

Re: Shop origanization need help

Post by mac639 »

Hi....Sounds like you've got all the gadgets you need to build guitars but trying to organize the shop is always a problem. I downsized my shop when we moved recently so it's a problem for me too. One thing I use all the time to hold the guitar when building/working on both the top and the bottom is a light duty "workmate". I screwed a couple of pieces of 2x6 to the edges of the top plates of the workmate, glued on some old scrap carpet to the tops. You can set the guitar on here either right side up or bottom up, still reach underneath to pick a string etc. You can screw the cranks in or out to fit different widths of guitars. Anyway, reading your post, I'm wondering exactly what this "new" saw from Home Depot is that you're talking about. Do you have a picture...or a part number, or a name they call it. I'm always interested in new tools to do things better with.
Thanks, Mac
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

I DO NOT have an elegant shop! My shed is but 12' wide X 16' long. But it works, after a fashion.

Keeping things simple, in one corner I have a stack of shelves which "house" my sliding compound miter saw, circular saw, drill motors, router, biscuit cutter, sawzall, etc. Underneath there is room for my compressor. Compressor hoses and extension cords are hung on those brackets designed for garden hoses. A large collection of plastic bins - well marked and on shelves - are used to hold various hand tools. "Chests" of plastic drawers hold everything from drill bits to screws to miscellaneous hardware. Overhead racks are used to store choice pieces of wood.

The drill press and bandsaw are fixed in one location. The table saw w/extension is on wheels so I can move it the heck out of the way - when I'm not using it for a work surface. Two very sturdy steel sawhorses and a couple of dedicated 2X12's make for a work table - outside - for the miter saw.

As you can see, and in my case, elegance is not an option. But I manage. It means having to move things around a bit in order to get something done. Since there are no windows, I have two 200 watt light bulbs in overhead fixtures that shine a bunch of light on everything.

If I'm not mistaken, Grizzly has an interactive program that can be used to lay out a shop. It will help in visualizing not only where everything will go, but whether it will be "workable". Ya can't be falling all over yourself when you're trying to be productive.

This is just a simple overview but maybe it will give ya an idea of what ya have to do with limited facilities.

Visit Grizzly and see what you can come up with. Make it work - for you.

Richard
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:geek: I pretty much have the same conundrum. I am just finishing up a 8' x 24' porch/shop?? alongside my new house (It's really gonna be my shop but I tell the city inspector it's gonna be a porch)....politics wtf. What kind of "small milling machine" do u have?...Stormy :mrgreen:
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello Stormy I got a chuckle out of your shop you are building, you will get past the inspector, my milling is a two speed mill I got from Harbor Freight.com it was on sale for $499.00 made by central machining, I might increase my motor speed to a variable speed 1/2hp motor if I can modify it to handle it. you can view this machine at Harbor Freight.com you will have to type in their search field milling machines, I think they are asking $599 for it now, but occasionally they let it go for $499. I am going to post pictures soon of my guitar.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I have stuff everywhere if I did get everything put in place id never find what im looking for . :lol:
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi....Just wondered again if you could give me an idea what that "new" type bandsaw is that you got at Home Depot. I can't seem to find anything like that online.
Thanks,
Mac
na4it

Post by na4it »

A friend of mine has a system. When you go into his shop looking for a "Philips Head Screw Driver", it may be filed under any of the following:

Philips
Philips Head
Screw Driver
Philips Head Screw Driver

and last but not least...
TOOL!
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello mac that new tool by home depot is called Blade runner by Rockwell sells for $179 but it is considered a table type saw but works like a band saw check it out I know it cuts metal and I use it to cut the raise and lowers with.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi....thanks for the info on the saw. Can you cut 1/4" aluminum plate fairly accurately with it? I actually found it on the Home Depot US site, it isn't on the Canadian one but apparently Sears sells it too. It's really just a jigsaw mounted upside down under a table, but has other good features like speed control etc. What sort of blade do you use to cut the aluminum, just the regular hacksaw type blade?
Thanks,
Mac