Strings- Pins Vs Hooks

If it has Pedals...
Jason Lynch

Strings- Pins Vs Hooks

Post by Jason Lynch »

I've been window shopping of late on new Steel guitars, and in particular, a couple of things id like from a new steel.
One point is whether the string is attached to the finger with a pin, which i don't like the idea of, or a hook into the finger itself.

So, builders. is one better than the other?
I find the idea of fiddling around with pins a terrible thought. But Rittenberry, and several other makers all use them.

I quite like Sho-pros. But they use a round bar cross shaft. not sure i like that idea either?
Opinions welcome, good or bad, just honest will do!
ta muchly
bluesteel

Re: Strings- Pins Vs Hooks

Post by bluesteel »

A hook every time for me, Jason - although my Williams has a hole through the tailpiece of the finger, that works great too. I borrowed JD's Zum for a while, and it has pins. They are infuriating, really hard to get the string end onto. The worst idea ever.

Cross-shafts get a lot of discussion. Round ones allow you to get infinitesimal adjustment of the angular position of the bell-crank. Most old steels have round shafts. But they can allow the bellcrank to slip around on the cross-shaft, so you have to do them up really tight.

Hexagonal and square section cross-shafts allow really positive registration between bell-crank and cross-shaft - they don't slip. But hex shafts are hard to machine the mating internal hex profile in the bell-crank. The square profile is easiest of all, and probably the reason why most makers use it.

Will
Jason Lynch

Post by Jason Lynch »

Thanks, Will. That's pretty much what I thought myself. Just that I looked at Rittenberry, Sho pro, Fessenden, rains and justice and they all use the pins. Personally I can't even consider them. Then I found that Rittenberry and Sho pro now use round bar. Which I think causes one more possible point of failure. That just left Mullen, and infinity. And infinity are not taking orders, in case anyone fancies one!
I'm sure others will disagree, as we've managed well with pins and round bar for a while now, but to my mind that's the natural progression of the instrument.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Williams use square cross-shafts as well, Jason. My DIY steel will have square cross-shafts, and hooks in the changer fingers for the ball ends. It's so positive - no messing around with "will it catch or will it slip off?" like the Zum, Ritt etc. I think even Fulawka uses a pin - but don't quote me. :D
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi all,
I've used hooks and pins, and I don't have a problem at all with putting new strings on a guitar with fingers that have pins, plus there is No difference in tone. But each to his own, it's just down to personal choice/preference. As for cross shafts, I'm in favour of the square type, definitely not round, although round shafts are easier to make as are the pull bars/bell cranks.
Just a thought guys.
Dave. :ugeek:
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3