Milling machine question

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
ljs

Re: Milling machine question

Post by ljs »

I have a Smithy Midas 1220, 3 in 1 machine. For what I paid I am satisfied but...... after working for 36 yrs. in a large manufacturing facility and spending 25 of those yrs. as a machinist I must say that it is severly lacking. My 1220 does not have a half nut so cutting threads is rather tricky though it can be done. The turning aspect of the lathe is fine. When it comes to drilling I find the lack of depth can be a problem because to raise the head there is no way to prevent rotation around the column so relocating center lines etc. can be frustrating. As for the milling my really biggest problem on my Smithy is vertical travel graduations are too large. They are .042. That's too large of a graduation to try to do precission milling. The horizontal travel graduations are .002 which I can live with.

Any way all that being said I still use it quite frequently and really appreciate having it when turning or milling is required around my place. I wouldn't want to try to go into production with it. Though one of my first and biggest projects on it was making 4 additional pedals and one vertical knee lever for my GFI S-10 when I had it. It was a challenge and at the time I enjoyed the challenge. I don't know about that any more though. I would get the largest mill your shop or budget will allow, and if you need a mill and lathe I would go seperate if the budget allowed.
LaVern
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I have done a few google searches of table top mills and its actually taken me longer to compile a list of manufacturers than I expected.A model under the top tech name doesent seem bad and harbor freight has some nice little models as well but I hear too many bad reviews on them.Right now Im still just looking around at all my options but I do hope to make a purchase within the next couple of months as I do want to do some small projects.Im really looking into one of the wholesale tool models for 700 dollars it actually looks like it would do what I need but I had hoped for a machine with a bit larger table and after a lot of searching I found the RF-31 by Birmingham and that machine is very nice for what it is but it is around 1300 dollars which is more than I expected to put in a machine but I do want good quality.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Ljs, cant you fit a small vertical 'digital readout' to your machine, something like http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/imagecach ... 83x450.jpg

Shobudmaverick, I think the main problem with the smaller, cheaper mills are that the buyers expectations of the quality and capabilities of the machine are too high, there is no possibility of any of these machines matching the performance of 'toolroom' equipment. You just have to accept their limitations or spend an enormous amount more.

regards to all

Ron Mc
ljs

Post by ljs »

Ron, I suppose one could mount a DRO some how. I just never looked into it. I did try to mount a long travel dial indicator and couldn't find a good place or wat to mount it.

I also think you are right on the money when you say expectations are too high some time. That is why I say buy the biggest and best your budget and workshop allows. When I first retired 7 years ago, I had no real workshop or space. The Smithy fit in real well. Since that time I've built a 24' X 30' workshop and now have more room, just less budget :) I also think there is great merit and gained satisfaction in doing something seemingly impossible on these small machines.
LaVern
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

LaVern,

These little 6" digital callipers come pretty cheap now, perhaps you could rig up one of those.

My workshop is only 10' x 12' and I have in it a 'WM14' bench mill, a small 'Cowells' bench mill, an old Myford ML7 lathe, a bench drill, a bench grinder and hardly enough room to stand.

I too retired 7 years ago and sometimes I miss working, but as we progress through life, gaining experience, accumulating possessions we also age without noticing it and are eventually put out to grass. I get the impression that, like me, you are not prepared to just sit around watching the sunsets.

Best Regards

Ron Mc
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I realize a lot of the really small machines are not the best due to lack of weight and you can get a wlot of chatter when your working.I wouldnt mind having an older american made machine but I dont need something that is gonna require a lot of work because I doubt anyone around me could do any work on a mill.Penn tool co has a few Im looking at right now.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

I have the same situation as Ron Mc - converted garage, about 16 ft by 9. I have a Grizzly G0704 - or as they are marketed over here, Chester 20VS. The first thing I did was to install digital readout on X & Y. I got those from USA through MicroMark - excellent value.

It comes with DRO as standard on the Z axis. I think it's a great machine. It's not in the same league as Bent's TOS, but if used sensibly, you get good results. The only problem is the workshop is unheated, so I've done little work out there for the last 3 months. Insulation and heating is now a priority before next winter! I have used the time well though, playing steel instead of cutting metal.

Will C
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I have been looking into the little Harbor Freight mini mill and I feel like for some of my minor project ideas I feel it would work.the most I would do would be aluminum work.I found another machine that wholesale tool offers its the 3006-3008 and it seems like an ok machine but really there is no info on it as far as opinions and discussion but the harbor freight has tons of discussion on the internet.I really wanna hear from some of you that may own one of these two mills especially the HF mill because at the moment it looks like it may be the one I end up with.I wanna know how any steel building went with one of these especially work on necks and enplates as they are larger pieces I might work on in the future.One reason I backed away from the WT mill is because it was 699.00 and now its like 842.00 and with shipping it would be best to go ahead and get a larger mill for a little over a 1000.I do plan on trying some casting maybe later this year so thats about all the mill would be far is getting some pieces milled to correct sizes so I need a mill that I know can handle necks and endplates and keyheads as well.I really appreciate the input I get off this forum and I find all the information very valuable.
ljs

Post by ljs »

Ron Mc, Sorry about the late response to your posting. It's been almost a month since you replied to my posting. :oops: Well you are right as to not being ready to be put out to pasture, though sometimes..... These last few weeks have been a prime example. It's Maple Syrup season here now, and my son is getting into it for the first time so we have been pretty busy making his evaporator and setting out taps and buckets and taps and lines. And to further fill out my time my wife has goats and it's kidding time around here.

As for mounting a digital dial caliper perhaps it would help, but I think the main problem is the actual gearing on the rack to down feed the mill is not fine enough to just feed it a few thousands at a time though a readout sure would help. I'll have to have a look at that and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your input. This is a great Forum for sure.
LaVern
martinguitar

Post by martinguitar »

My recommendation is to watch Craigslist and industrial auctions . There's some very nice machinery available for a modest price if you take your time . If you have the space available I would save my money a little longer and go with a industrial size mill . Take a couple indicators with you when you check it out . Check the runout on the spindle , backlash etc.
I bought a 1999 11x58 Lagun vertical mill with DRO , x and y powerfeed , 40 taper , power drawbar , and 20 toolholders for around $3000 recently at an auction. It's a very beefy and tight machine . One could spend 1000 ish on a small import mill or save a little longer and get a much more accurate and rigid machine .
Just my 2 cents worth