Starting Places for build.

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
audiokat

Starting Places for build.

Post by audiokat »

New to the forum, new to the build, and and new to the instrument! I figure building one of these will give me a better change of dedicating myself.

So I'm looking for a starting place for the build. I know that everything is variable and not set in stone but I'm looking for a starting place. I plan to start the build on a piece of plywood so I can try some variations on all these numbers.

1. String height.
2. String spacing for bridge and nut.
3. Pickup location. I hear closer to the bridge is better but is there a standard for some of the older ones?
4. Scale. I seem to see 22-24 but again is there any standard?
5. Tuner distance and angle. Are there any templates or anything for the tuners?
6. Distance between bridge and through body holes.

To give you an idea of what I'm going for, it's my goal to make it old school looking and sounding. I plan to make it from a solid hardwood and shape it like and old national. I'm currently looking for an old pickup from a supra or national or ??? to put in it.
richard37066

Re: Starting Places for build.

Post by richard37066 »

audiokat - (what's yer name?)

My best suggestion is not to go about this thing piecemeal - a dozen responses to your questions with decisions to be made - but to get in firm contact with Bent Romnes on this Forum. My reasoning is quite simple: - Bent has built some fine instruments in the "traditional" style that also sound quite wonderful. In just a matter of minutes, Bent could give you a wealth of information which would get you off and running in good style. He's a great guy and quite approachable.

Yes - opinions DO vary regarding many things regarding the instrument, but a tried-and-true formula similar to that which Bent uses becomes a no-brainer since it's your first instrument.

Get in touch with him, then, with pad and pen in hand - start writing fast and furiously!

I hope that I haven't slighted anyone but Bent is my "Bud" and I have all of the confidence in the world in his judgement.

Richard
audiokat

Post by audiokat »

richard37066 wrote:audiokat - (what's yer name?)

My best suggestion is not to go about this thing piecemeal - a dozen responses to your questions with decisions to be made - but to get in firm contact with Bent Romnes on this Forum. My reasoning is quite simple: - Bent has built some fine instruments in the "traditional" style that also sound quite wonderful. In just a matter of minutes, Bent could give you a wealth of information which would get you off and running in good style. He's a great guy and quite approachable.

Yes - opinions DO vary regarding many things regarding the instrument, but a tried-and-true formula similar to that which Bent uses becomes a no-brainer since it's your first instrument.

Get in touch with him, then, with pad and pen in hand - start writing fast and furiously!

I hope that I haven't slighted anyone but Bent is my "Bud" and I have all of the confidence in the world in his judgement.

Richard
The name is Steve and thanks for asking. I get what your saying about the piecemeal thing. My goal is to stay true to what little standards there are on the traditional instrument. I like to learn the like that then make choices on what to change later. I will certainly contact Bent right away. That's exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help Richard. Just realized my info doesn't say it but I'm right around the corner from you in Nashville.

Steve
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Steve -

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have a neighbor to lean on once in awhile. You've no doubt discerned that these folks are the greatest. I've only been a member for about a year but it's been an enlightening and enjoyable experience.

Richard
audiokat

Post by audiokat »

richard37066 wrote:Steve -

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have a neighbor to lean on once in awhile. You've no doubt discerned that these folks are the greatest. I've only been a member for about a year but it's been an enlightening and enjoyable experience.

Richard

Same here. Yea I love forums like this. I'm really pumped to get moving on this beast. Planed the cherry I have today and just started working on my template.

Oh as far as Bent he said he doesn't do much in the world of lap steel so wasn't really able to help. So anyone out there in lap steel land help!!!! :-)

Thanks again,

Steve
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard, thanks for the nice words. I appreciate how you talk about me in such glowing terms. I hope it is deserved. All I can say; we are all here to help each other.

Sorry I couldn't help you Steve. But there are lots of able bodies lap steel builders here. Look thru Xavier's long thread about the build he just completed. Maybe you'll want to contact him for advice. Paul Lafountaine is another one. He has just started a new project.
Good luck with your project!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Hi audiokat,
Check my free "Beginner's Guide To Lap Steel Construction" here:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/page5.html