Question about the nut

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
Paul Lafountaine

Question about the nut

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

When I am cutting the grooves for the strings in the nut, how deep should he grooves be. Should I be able to slide the tone bar over the nut or should the tone bar be stopped by the nut as I move towards the tuners?

Paul
richard37066

Re: Question about the nut

Post by richard37066 »

Paul -

You're probably going to get differences of opinion on this so I'll just voice my preference.

I've had occasion - in a couple of tunes given me by my teacher - to slide from, say, the second fret to the open strings. If I had my druthers, I would prefer the ability to do that seamlessly and without effort. I can, and do make that move on my GFI. Take all opinions with a grain of salt. This is mine.

Respectfully,

Richard
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

hi Paul , when you slide your bar over the nut you shouldnt feel any resistance it should just slide right over indicating that everything is level and as far as groves in the nut , Bent posted something about that , i kinda think they are there to help hold the strings in position and on center. Look up bents post . Russ
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Thanks Richard and Russ. I kinda thought that it would be better if you could slide the tone bar over the nut. The lap steel that I bought and try to play has the strings low in the nut and you can't slide the bar over it. It just didn't make sense to me.