Solid or hollow body T8 non pedal?

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
Henry Songer

Solid or hollow body T8 non pedal?

Post by Henry Songer »

I am considering building aT8 non pedal and am wondering if a hollow body would be better than a solid one such as the Fender. I believe the Bixby's were hollow with cast aluminum necks. Any body have some input?
Thanks
Henry
Allan

Re: Solid or hollow body T8 non pedal?

Post by Allan »

Hi,

There are as many opinions as there are people on that question. :) It's not a bad question though.
My own opinion is that solid works best. Were you just looking at the options when you considered a hollow body or do you have some experience to base that on? Most self builders don't have the facility to build aluminum necks so for a one off it becomes expensive if you need to find one and buy it.
The other consideration is that if you buy any of the body/neck/tuning head parts you will be restricting your design options to what will fit around those items.
Would this be your first build?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Henry Songer

Post by Henry Songer »

Thanks Allen, Yes it yill be my first build however I do have some experience in sand casting aluminum and I have acces to a bridgeport mill. I fell in love with the looks of the Clinesmith and would like to build something similar. I am aware it will be a long slow process but I hink it would be fun and I would have something I could be proud of. Actually I could machine the necks from aluminum bar stock but I have been told that cast aluminum gives better tone. Henry
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hi Henry,
True, some people claim that cast aluminum (and heavier castings) give better tone. They claim that this is the old ZB pedal steel's claim to great tone.
I am not sure either way, but I definitely love the tone of the ZB
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.