where to start

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
Paul Higgins

where to start

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hi, Iam pleased that Ive been allowed to join the forum,
I have given a small introduction in the intro part..
I hope you dont mind me posting so soon after joining

I have loads of questions being a newbee, My only skill as a beginner is that I am a carpenter / joiner. loads and loads of enthusiasm, a good ear for listerning.
The rest I have to learn, and would be very greatful for any help
( im from the uk..so there might be some words that may mean different things to thoes on the brighter side of the pond )

I have read through some of the postings on the forum and looked at some of the sites mentioned, and some of the suppliers sites
Are there any drawings for these. (I did read on the forum that someone had a how to cd off ebay that dident turn out too good

Firstly I intend to build lap with 8 or 10 strings..
What timber's/wood are best to use ?
what size L B W ?
Thank you RdGs Paul
Eldon

Re: where to start

Post by Eldon »

Paul, I'm not sure what you have available in Wales but when I researched my lap it came down to body material that was not prone to warping. The choices became Maple or White Birch.
The birch I had in stock so that answered that question.

I tend to overbuild, my 10 string is 40 in long, 8 in at the widest point, and 1 5/8 in thick.
Not much to look at but it's got good sustain.

Nut and bridge - aluminum angle

Fretboard - black ash for contrast and model railroad tracks mounted upsidedown for the frets.

Headstock made from birch rienforced with aluminum.

The only parts I really bought were the Grover tuners, strings, railroad track and plug-in jack.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Thank you Eldon,
some hard woods easyer to get here than others the dark woods easyer to get mahogany sapeli, I do prefer the lighter my self mapel birch oak..
what I have been wondering is..the pics I have seen it looks like the fretboard part has been put on top of a wider peice of wood .....or is it all machined out of one peice apart from the head stock..can you enlighten me..
I have looked up hard wood supplier in the uk but need to know what size to order is the peice the fret board is on...is it seperate peice or part of the whole thing..
what thickness is recomended for the fret board ?
Hope you can understand this ...but a lot all seem to have been made to the same overall way..I intend to build 8 string
I have had a look at a drawing on the forum and it surgests the thickness of the head stock is 1ins..I am still in the dark about most of it..
Thanks for taking the time to reply RdGs Paul
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Paul, Give me a couple of days and I'll provide you with the measurements and a photo of mine.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon