Selecting pick up

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
thatalguy

Selecting pick up

Post by thatalguy »

Hello. I am building my first lap steel and am now needing to buy a pick-up and associated hardware. I know nothing will start an impassioned debate like pick-up preference but I am new at this and existing info is confusing. My guitar is solid walnut, through body string mount, 23" scale. Tuning will be C6.
I have noticed some pick-ups are mounted at an angle. Is this to place the string directly over each post, or just for looks? How far from the strings should it be mounted? How far from the bridge? Which type is 'beginner friendly' ?
I'm sure this is enough to get the conversation lively. Thanks
ljs

Re: Selecting pick up

Post by ljs »

Hi, Things are kind of slow here I see. I'll try to answer some of your questions and hopefully some others will jump in too and probably have more input. Well as far as pickups go, I have used "Wallace Tru-Tones" for three of my builds and have been very satisfied with them. I've always just dropped Jerry an email explaining what I am building and has always wound what he thought was best and I have always been happy. His prices are very reasonable too. When I contacted him he asked what kind of wood, and what string spacing and what type of music I was planning on playing, he took it from there. It has been about 4 yrs. or so since I last bought one from him.

As for the angle I think it probably is just for string location but I can't say for sure. I think string height over pickup is adjustable for balance of volume. I have two of mine at an 1/8" and another one at a 1/4". I have 3 steels and each one has a different spacing from the centerline of the bridge to the centerline of the poles of the pickup. They are 2", 1-3/4" and 1-1/2". I chose those distances just because of the body style and how much room I had to work with. One of my guitars has no volume or tone pot. One has just a volume and the third has both volume and tone. Hope that helps a bit. This forum has been quiet lately. If others see this they may tune in too. The Steel Guitar Forum has quite an active "Steel Without Pedals" when it comes to building also. A lot of good information there too.
ljs

Re: Selecting pick up

Post by ljs »

Wow, it's been 5 days and still no additional replies. Have you looked at the Steel Guitar Forum in the "Steel Without Pedals" section yet? I do hope you can find more input and information. Eventually somebody will reply hpefully with more input. Take care.
LaVern