Building my First Lap Steel

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
The German

Building my First Lap Steel

Post by The German »

I have long wanted to learn to play the Steel and thought it was beyond my grasp for various reasons. Then I discovered the Lap Steel and that they were buildable. UFF! I was on a roll. I had an old cheap electric guitar bought at a garage sale so I canablized it for parts and began work on the board. I decided on a 24.5" scale and cut it out accordingly. The point that I am at now is deterining where the fret markes go for 24.5" scale. My fretboard is walnut from a tree my dad had planted years back. I'm not sure what to use for the frets. That are my two delemas. I made my not from some aluminum I had and I have ordered a Les Paul bridge. So I'm looking at the fret install. I would love to hear any suggestions cause this is new ground to me. I built a Mini Telecaster years back but that was a kit. I have played the guitar since I was 12 so I have some knowledge. I love forums for the expert experience that is shared and hope someday to share any knowledge I gain.
Attachments
The beginning
The beginning
IMG_0014.JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
Getting places
Getting places
IMG_0002.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
maxi19

Re: Building my First Lap Steel

Post by maxi19 »

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will get help and encouragement here.

Best Regards Ron Mc
azureskys

Re: Building my First Lap Steel

Post by azureskys »

Looks like ya got a nice start for your lap steel nice work , looking forward to seeing it finished . Russ