Cheap, easy DIY changer idea

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
guitarheel

Cheap, easy DIY changer idea

Post by guitarheel »

Hello everyone.

I have been playing guitar for 25+ years and I have been considering building my first steel for
awhile now, but the biggest hurdle I have with regard to "scratch construction" (as I'm sure other first time builders do too) is the changer. I had considered copying a design and having it done with CNC, but this can get expensive. So I started thinking of other things that A) are more readily available, and B) would require MINIMAL machining and/or cutting.

I came up with this. NOT TO SCALE, and please excuse the crude nature of this diagram!

I chose the 10mm here simply to illustrate, but I believe the 10mm size would be perfect for this application. The wrenches would need to be totally flat, with no angled heads.

I'm sure the cut in the middle would need to be modified somewhat to allow for proper travel of the lower finger.

The only thing I wonder about is the string notch on top of the rounded part of the wrench, and how to cut it out, polish it, etc.

Keep in mind that I have no steel building or machining experience. I came up with this potential design just by looking at pictures. I'm not even sure what type of changer this would be.

The main thing here is that these wrenches can be bought at just about any auto parts store, and they can be modified with tools that can ALSO be purchased there, too.

So I guess what I'm asking is - would this actually work? Like I said I have no builder experience whatsoever. This was just an idea I had in my head.
Rick Dillon

Re: Cheap, easy DIY changer idea

Post by Rick Dillon »

Hello guitarheel, What you want to keep mind before you try your idea, its a lot of work and planning to build a pedal steel. One thing in your favor is the 25+ years you have been playing, this means you have a guitar to look at the under carriage and see what does what. A band saw, drill press, files, and sander and of course some aluminum. Your wench idea looks OK for part of the changer finger. I would take apart your changer on the guitar you play now and see how it is made, and rivets together if you have an all pull changer with 3 pull and 2 lower. The reason Iam saying all of this is because on a pedal steel the changer is the main dude of all. I have built 2 myself, the second was much easier and played much better, so even if you spent the extra money to have the fingers CNCed Its well worth it. Cross rods, bellcranks, bearing holders etc., are pretty simple to make. Also you are in the right place to get plenty of support, free at that, lots of great guys and builders here on the forum, I am sure some of the guys will chime in as soon as they see your post. Good luck and have fun, Please keep us posted as you go. Thanks, Rick D
guitarheel

Post by guitarheel »

Thanks for the reply! Let me clarify that my 25+ years of playing are NOT on pedal steel, but on regular guitar. I have never even put my hands on a pedal steel before! But being somewhat mechanically inclined, I understand the inner workings of the changer system as well as the rods and cranks underneath. But he main issue for me was the changer - specifically the all-pull design. Add to that the fact that I don't have any measurements and have never physically seen another changer. I guess what I was mainly going for here was tossing a potential bone to anyone who might not have access to a CNC machine but may have things like a band saw, grinder, drill press, etc. I have access to all of those, and I figure I could come up with something feasible using this method.

Another reason I wanted something simple was the cost. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't even know what it would cost to have one cut. I work at an auto parts store, and one of our customers gave me the number of a local guy who has a CNC machine, but he said he charges by the inch. Does anyone have any ideas as to the average rate for something like this?

Also - if anyone knows where to find measurements of a changer mechanism, that'd be most helpful too! There are no local steel players in my area, and the music stores don't even carry strings for the things!
Rick Dillon

Post by Rick Dillon »

The problem I can see with the wrench is the distance between your rods, looks like it could give you a problem getting it to the bell crank with the limited space under the guitar? There plenty of changer systems to look at on this forum, your on the right track, set your mind to it and go for it. Tweaking after the build is fun to . Good Luck. Rick