Rebuilding a cabinet for a D-10 with a warped C6 deck

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
OzSteel1969

Rebuilding a cabinet for a D-10 with a warped C6 deck

Post by OzSteel1969 »

Well, I am literally a long-time lurker and first-time poster here.
My most recently purchased pedal steel guitar - a 2007 Carter D-10 - has a major warping problem on the C6 neck. The wood (rock maple I believe) has bent right above the changer end piece to a height of 5mm (almost a quarter inch) at its highest point, and while the changer doesn't seem to be adversely affected (in that everything still bends up or down to pitch) and it retains tune.
My long-term plan is to build a new cabinet, but in the interim, is it likely to cause mechanical damage if I keep playing the instrument?
Typically, my C6 doesn't see a great deal of action, but I do like to play it as often as I can . I've got it set up here in front of me as I type, and it's still in tune from when I last played it about four days ago.
Anyway, that's enough bumf from me - looking forward to learning much more about the process of building a steel from this esteemed company.
J
Farmer

Re: Rebuilding a cabinet for a D-10 with a warped C6 deck

Post by Farmer »

J, If you are interested in a temp repair of the C-6th. neck, take a few pictures then post them on Board Index Steel Guitar, and I would bet you would get all kind of ideas of how to repair it. My friend Bent, is a great builder among a lot of others here, give him a shout.... Mike
OzSteel1969

Re: Rebuilding a cabinet for a D-10 with a warped C6 deck

Post by OzSteel1969 »

Hey Mike,
thank you! I've been in touch with Bent as you suggested (I contacted him via the Steel Guitar Forum), and the man is a gent and font of information. I've got some of our fine Australian hardwoods in contention for the job of replacing the C6 deck. Interestingly, last night I removed the strings from that neck, and the wood sat down about 2.5mm within an hour - it was originally warped, at the highest point, about 5mm (1/4 inch) but has now moved significantly in the last 18 hours. It'll be interesting to see how much further it has to move, and whether screwing some aluminium angle underneath it might hold it in place for now?
If anyone's interested, there are some (frankly lousy) shots of the warped deck here (http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=257211).
I'm really keen to build my own cabinet anyway - both my dad and grandad were cabinet makers and builders and while I'm not really a patch on either of 'em, I'd like to have a shot at it. Obviously, there's the factor of time involved here, and I play fairly regularly doing gigs and the odd session, so I'd be keen to keep my E9 neck going... Sadly, I'm without a spare axe, although if my inaugural effort goes well, who knows? J