Tone and materials.

Just getting started and have a lot of questions? Here's the spot...
jgrant42

Re: Tone and materials.

Post by jgrant42 »

You were right about the grain on the oak allan. I cut some pieces and started to clean them up and the grain is not like the cherry nice and smooth. I will play with a bit and see what I come up with.
jim
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

With oak you need a sand sealer before lacquer, you should do this with any wood prior to lacquer ect...if you want a smooth finish and it saves alot of sanding and it seals the wood pours and grain, if you don't use sand filler sealer you'll have to put more coats. :)
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi Alan,

It is a special anodsizing process which utillizes the Ti surface oxides to get all those pretty colours in the titanium, as for tone mmmmmh. I have worked with Ti for many years and there are many grades of Ti (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 12 etc) apart from it being very strong, very light and acid and alkali resistant, not to mention it would cost both arms and legs, I'm not sure as to its tonal qualities. It would be great for the overal weight though and that is why MSA use Ti pull rods on the Millenium (I think?)

Dave. :geek:
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3