Making a start

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Jif

Re: Making a start

Post by Jif »

Thanks Ron, I'm planning on using a dark veneer to mark the "frets" to give a contrast to the maple. Initially I was thinking on using a thicker veneer or a thin board to get more of an effect but I think I may go for a thin veneer around 0.6mm.

I have been trying this out on an old bass (Vox White Shadow) I've had lying around for about 20 years. I bought this in the 80's, lent it to a friend who dropped it at a gig, damaged the 2nd fret and fretboard. It needed the fret replaced and a bit of repairwork which I've never got around to.

Decided recently to de-fret it to give me a fretless bass and a chance to try out the method for when I build my lap.

Some photos below, after seeing the thin veneer finish, I'm thinking that that would look sweet on the lap.

I've given the neck a rough sand but still to finish it off. There are a few "holes" around some of the frets caused when removing the frets still to be repaired with superglue. I also repaired a guage in the fretboard by filling it with dust from sanding the fretboard, then a drop of superglue, see highlight in photo.

I used 0.6mm maple veneer, glued in with superthin superglue. I tried to use the minimum amount of superglue to make finishing easier, (and because I'm a Scotsman and I'm sure you've all heard the wallet jokes ;) ). However if I'd used more initially it would have filled more of the little holes around the frets!

Now I need to buy a decent fretsaw with depth control for when I use the same method on the Lap fretboard.

All veneer glued in

Photo on the right highlights the repair to the guage, worked out better than I expected.

Trimmed back the veneer using snips on the sides and a hobby knife on the top. The red stain on the top fret is my blood, I relaxed a bit too much with 3 frets to go, whoops :oops:

Rough sand, still a bit of work to do 8-)
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

THAT - in my opinion is classy!

I've been working on a similar approach to my old Dekley - something understated which sorta blends in with the surrounding materials. The fretboard on my Dekley is a plastic neon sign which offends me greatly. Can't wait to tear it off and do something else.

Hope that your effort turns out just as well on the lap.

Richard
Jif

Post by Jif »

Thanks very much Richard :)

There's still a bit of sanding to do, the "frets" are still slightly proud and a bit rough.

It worked out better than I expected and was relatively straight forward to do. Surgical gloves saved me from glueing my fingers together :geek:

I probably won't finish this off until later in the year, I also want to strip the body, which I'll need to do outside with a blowtorch (fumes!). So I'll wait for better weather, though today is like spring in Scotland, (won't last long!)

I'm champing at the bit to get started on the lap, so turning my attention to that now.

@RonMc

I see Screwfix are doing a Erbauer 2100W 1/4" - 1/2" Router for £99. It seems to get decent reviews, what do you think?

Geoff
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hi Geoff,
the router seems a good deal and there is quite a reduction in the price, reviews are good.

It will do everything you would need, it has 2 template followers and you would make up various jigs as required.

It is basically a portable milling machine and you will be surprised what you can accomplish with one.

Best Regards Ron Mc
Jif

Post by Jif »

Thanks Ron. I'll probably go for it, need to square it with the missus first :roll:
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Does this mean I will be cited in the divorce caused by you spending all the money :o :o :lol: :lol:

Regards Ron Mc
Jif

Post by Jif »

:o :lol:

Never thought of that, but now that you mention it, I've been looking for another line apart from - but it's an investment dear, think of all the fancy shaped shelves you could have ;)

Now it'll be - well Ron says 8-) :lol:
Jif

Post by Jif »

Hi,

As I'm completely new to all of this, I thought it might be an idea to build a little workshop before I start actually doing anything. I've just about got enough tools & accessories now to make a start, although my desired tools list just seems to keep growing, I'm sure you all know what I mean ;)

It's all up in my attic, space is bit restricted but everything is do-able.

I've built a workbench which incorporates a router table with a decent sized fence with vacuum fitment built in. I also bought this jigsaw table and all attachments,

http://www.neutechnik-toolshop.com/prod ... saw-table/

It's definitely a hobby tool, but it does most things I will require and is surprisingly accurate if you take time to set it up true. Some of the add ons are very handy, the scroll saw attachment works pretty well and the little sanding accessory is great for doing intricate work. The vacuum attachment is really good and I've adapted it to work with the router. The only real downer is that there is quite a lot of vibration, so I've built/secured it into my bench which helps.

Pictures to follow.

Next on the list is a decent bench drill press & the Black & Decker RT650KA Wizard Multitool Kitbox, (Oh and a fretsaw, better router and a .... :twisted: )

My plans are more or less finalised and I've bought all the wood I need and a set of sperzel type locking tuners from Axetec which seem decent quality.

Hoping to get started in the next week or so :D
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Hey Jif -

I may be able to steer you to some information regarding the Alumitone pickup.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19305/

Those guys were quite serious about a home-brew version and you'll find it interesting.

As to a solid-state amplification system versus the low impedance (microphone?) transformer, I can also shed some light on that too. I was a circuit designer for many years. Ages ago, I built a pickup with individual coils and pole pieces for an arch-top guitar. Ran that through a 6-channel amplifier that I designed. Had rudimentary EQ and summed the outputs. Worked well EXCEPT that the circuitry had to be shoe-horned through the second pickup hole and then glued in place. That, plus the need to supply power made it workable but less than desirable. The Alumitone - with matching transformer - is, essentially, a plug-n'-play installation. I, too, am working on a design for my Dekley 12-stringer. May just give it up since Lace now has an Alumitone which will cover 12 strings.

Yours would not be that complicated, of course. Just a single channel amplifier using a 9-volt battery for power. Would have to be super low-noise for best performance since the gain of the amplifier would be great.

Yeh - I know, doing something yourself provides bunches of satisfaction but, sometimes, just going with a known quantity is the prudent way to go.

Hope the above helps and wish you well in your build.

Richard
Jif

Post by Jif »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info, your 6 channel pickup sounds interesting. I'd already checked out the info on the music-electronics site, in fact I recently joined the forum, some very useful info there generally.

I started work on an Alumnitone style pickup but it kinda ground to a halt when I discovered my oscilloscope, which hasn't been switched on for about 15 years needs repaired, difficult to fix without another scope. So I've decided for now to go for a "conventional" wound setup, so will need to build a Pup winder, looks reasonably straightforward.

I'm thinking of winding a couple of single coils, bridge and neck, in a Z-pickup style, along the lines of the Fender Precision bass. This means 4 coils, 2 in each Pup, each Pup in a Z shape with hum cancellation coming from the coils being wired out of phase, I'm sure you know the theory :)

Something else I was thinking about experimenting with is embedding some piezo transducers, (electret film would be better if I could source it at a reasonable price!), in between the two boards I'm making the lapsteel with. I was thinking of one around the nut position and another about half way down the neck, probably at the octave point, with a small channel routed for the wires.

The idea is that I could experiment with adding some of the resulting signal in with the Pup output. I reckon it will mostly be wood resonances at low frequencies which I'll get from these, it will be interesting to listen to what is going on within the guitar body and you never know, just adding a touch of this into the main mix may enhance the overall tone. Sort of similar to how an harmonic exciter works.

Anyway, that is a fair way off at the moment as I need to get started on the actual woodworking. Once I'm making decent progress with that, I'll turn my attention back to Pups.

But first I need to retire so I can find time to do all this stuff :lol:

Great fun though :D

Geoff