Double 8 Tunings

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Ophir

Double 8 Tunings

Post by Ophir »

Hi guys. I know that there are many tunings available but just wondering what most guys here have on their D8s. I have only been playing in C6 on single neck lap but will attempt to build a D8 console soon. I was thinking maybe on front neck C6 and back neck A6. I was wondering about maybe one of the E tunings but dont want to be doing nearly all slants. Do many here use the C6 and A6 on D8s?
Don McGregor

Re: Double 8 Tunings

Post by Don McGregor »

I do. I think I'm greatly in the minority, though.
I've purposely made myself stick with these two tunings for a long time, so that I can really explore them to the fullest. I use the high C6 (hi to low G E C A G E C A), so both my tunings are the same, except the C6 is 3-1/2 steps higher. I find that C6 is especially good for playing in the C, G, F, and D keys, along with their relative minors. For me, A6 works best in A, E, D, and B, and their minors. This way, I can choose which neck to play on that allows the most fluid use of occasional open strings. I can play in any key on either neck. I just like what I can do in some places better than others.
na4it

Post by na4it »

I'm glad this thread was started. I am exploring exactly the same things (D8 neck & tunings). The A6 is interesting, as I play predominately gospel, which is usually in A, B, or E flat.
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Yeah, having so many ways to get major, minor and 6th chords without slanting is wonderful, and when you do dig into slanting and pulling strings, all sorts of 7th, 9th, diminished, augmented, and demented chords start popping out. I'm still finding new things in these tunings every day. Scales, phrases, pockets, licks. Keeps a man's brain busy.
I have sworn to start working on some sort of E tuning soon, and the C6/A7 variation as well.
I'm building another D8 right now, so maybe I'll tune my D8 National to something new. I think C6 & A6 may always be my go to tunings, though.
Ophir

Post by Ophir »

Yeah, I really think I'll have C6 and A6. I have a stack of Tabs in A6 and also C6. It's surprising playing the same song with a C6 tuning and then A6 tuning. I played Yellow Bird in Key of C on a C6 lap steel. then changed tuning to A6 and played it in the same key. and have to say tone wise, I thought A6 tuning sounded better for this song. So I'm pretty sold on having C6 and A6 necks.
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

I have both double neck and a triple neck consoles but they are both 9 string rather than 8 string. I have C6th on the bottom neck of either one with D as the 1st string then E,C,A G,E,C,A,F. The second neck I use E13th with the chromatic strings on top like the pedal steel. F#,D#,G#,E C#, B, G#,E, D. . Then on the triple neck, the outside neck is A6th. F#,E,C#,A,F#,E,C#, A,E
That set-up works best for me. I do have a 10 string console which I tune to a C tuning as follows: D,B,E,C,A,G,E,C,Bb,G
The triple neck is my favorite of the three consoles.