cheap lapsteel pickups

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
shobudmaverick

cheap lapsteel pickups

Post by shobudmaverick »

I am just looking into the best place to get a low cost lapsteel pickups I really prefer eight string pickups but if all I can find is a six thats ok too.I know most of these pickups are somewhat expensive and I dont want to give much as I am just doing project stuff so whats my best option here.
mac639

Re: cheap lapsteel pickups

Post by mac639 »

If your looking to outfit an 8 string instrument and you can only find 6 string pickups just mount a piece of steel over the magnets the desired length for an 8 string span. I've done this several times, tell you what works the best is a piece of "key" steel (that they use to make keys for use with pulleys), or even a piece of pedal rod material. I've also used a 6 string pickup on a 10 string pedal steel with the added steel piece and it still works acceptably well.
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

That sounds interesting.I will look into this idea.So if i can only get six string I can mount a piece of steel on top and it will work just the same.
R.S.Fraser Sr.

Post by R.S.Fraser Sr. »

Hi shobudmaverick,
I'm just new here, but I thought this might be of interest to you. I also had trouble finding an economical pickup for an 8 string I was buidling, and finally settled on a SIX string Bass pickup. from one of the many Ebay sellers. It was certainly wide enough to "cover" the 8 strings , and had decent sound, not just bass as many people might think.

I think it was 25 bucks.

bob
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I will look into it.I am always looking into alternate options and cheaper ways of doing things and actually I heard of a few people who have built a lapsteel and used a bass pickup so it may be worth a try.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Hi,
Don't know if you still after a 8 string pup, but if so I have the very first single coil PALFRay pickup that is looking for a good home. You are more than welcome to it.
We have grown into a full lapsteel guitar and pickup enterprise, check out here.

http://www.raypalf.co.uk/PALFRay/PICKUPS.html

See pickup single coil nos 1, about 3 rows down, the white one.

Hope this is of some help,

Ray

PALFRay Guitars.