McGregor Steel 2nd build in progress

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Don McGregor

McGregor Steel 2nd build in progress

Post by Don McGregor »

Near side 8783.jpg
Near side 8783.jpg (374.99 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Here, I'm having fun making a double 8 console using recycled end plates and key heads. This is just a dry fit to see how everything will look.
African Mahogany deck, w/Lacewood necks and side rails.
That's a test version in the photos of the laser etched, Lexan fingerboards provided by Mark Bracewell of Willow Glen Guitars. Nickel plated brass bridges by Ryan Rukavina, two pair of cut down MSA keyheads, and used aluminum endplates from a pedal steel. I'm installing Jerry Wallace TT8's, and have left enough room between the necks for a Tele style control plate that will have Volume, Tone, and a 3-way switch. The far neck is 3/4" higher than the near one. This is something I'm trying. I think I find more difference in neck heights than you usually have on console feels better to my style of moving the bar around.
Lot of work left to do.
I still have to drill all the screw holes, glue up the decks and rails, a lot of final sanding, finish shaping the brass nuts, apply my sanding sealer and nitro, polish up all the hardware, install everything, and wire it.
I'm learning a lot during the process. Deciding to install controls has made this project a lot more complicated. Everything has to fit into a limited space.
Attachments
Front 8780-.jpg
Front 8780-.jpg (306.49 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
shobudmaverick

Re: McGregor Steel 2nd build in progress

Post by shobudmaverick »

That is one very nice looking steel.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Don, I love what I see - I like the choice of wood, the fact that it is all wood(except endplates) . It also ozzes of strength and stability , something I really like.
I bet you'll get a great tone out of it!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Don , I like what your doing there nothing wrong with recycled parts , I like the look of a console double 8. :D Russ
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Thanks, Guys.
I'm hoping get a little time this weekend to work on it a little, and maybe get her finished over the Christmas holidays. I'll post more pictures when I'm further along.