How Many Legs?

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Ophir

How Many Legs?

Post by Ophir »

Will start to build 8 string single neck console soon.
It will be about 8 1/4 wide by 34 inches long. Am wondering whether to use 3 legs or 4. I have 4 legs and mounting plates here. Like the look of 4 legs better myself but open to comments for 3 and 4 legs. If I use 3, I can use the left over leg I have and buy 3 more legs and plates for double neck console build later. How would you mount them? I was thinking if I use 3, I would put one on each corner of players side with legs angled towards players side and one leg in the middle on far side with angle extending out from that side. If I used 4 legs, I was thinking of 1 leg in each corner. 2 extending out on players side towards player and 2 on opposite side going out away from that side. Or would you have 2 extending out from head and 2 extending out from bridge end? These are angled at 10 degrees.

Thanks for taking time to read this.
Ophir
azureskys

Re: How Many Legs?

Post by azureskys »

Hi ophir, i like the 4 legs myself , 4 just looks more balanced to me and your right 10 degrees is what most steel guitar legs are at , do you have any pics that you care to share with us ? what are you useing for tuners and what kind of bridge you going to make? Russ
Ophir

Re: How Many Legs?

Post by Ophir »

Hi Russ
No pictures at the moment. Still in the planning stage. Will be using aluminum keyhead I got from ebay awhile ago and bridge will probably be brass rod sitting on a small aluminum plate. Pickups - 2 single coils like stringmaster wound by Billy Mostyn in Australia. These are Mostone "Vintsteel" pickups. Going to use ash timber. Will have 3 controls. Vol,Tone and pup blender pot. Wired up like a stringmaster. At the moment cant decide on natural gloss finish or solid painted finish.

regards
Ophir