Help - 10 String Lap Steel

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Fred Wright

Help - 10 String Lap Steel

Post by Fred Wright »

I want to build a ten (10) string Lap Steel to practice on while my wife is shopping. I hate shopping, so I wait in the car. :lol: Any suggestions, plans, or parts for the project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Fred (My Emmons PP project is temporarily suspended.)
lphleger

Re: Help - 10 String Lap Steel

Post by lphleger »

I am currently in the process of building a double 10 non-pedal :P console. I found that George Boards is now offering parts for those interested in building their own non-pedal guitar. They offer complete kits as well as a fairly complete line of parts. I am especially interested in their peel and stick fretboards. They have index lines for placement of the nut and bridge, and come in a variety of different scale lengths and position marker designs. :P
lphleger

Post by lphleger »

By the way, here is a link to the George Boards web site.
http://www.georgeboards.com/parts.html
stubhead

Post by stubhead »

I have been snagging pedal steel pegheads off the Steel Guitar Farm, as often as my luck and finances coincide. The MSA-style of two separate beams with notches or 'steps' to keep the tuners parallel wouldn't be too hard to make out of some 0.75" square maple if you have the tools. I don't like the current Remington and/or some older ones where the tuners are simply 90 degrees straight through the beams.- and angled to the strings. it puts a certain amount of sideways pull on the tuners. Which are probably over-engineered to take ten times that, it's just... weird & wrong to my eyes. Which I just went to have checked, but they were all out of checks - :cry:

so I had 'em done in plaid. :shock: