Rudi Wairata, Dutch Pride

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
harry sibum

Rudi Wairata, Dutch Pride

Post by harry sibum »

Hi guys,

One of the reasons that I am glad to be Dutch is because many great steelplayers coming from the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, came to Holland to spend their musical lives here. The greatest of them all are, imo that is, Rudi Wairata, and directly behind him, George de Fretes.
Please listen to this one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5PmMEuTTk

Rudi shows his fabulous right hand technique here, together with a wonderful choice of tones and tonal varieties. Please let me have your comments! Who do you personally prefer- Jerry Byrd, Herb Remington, or one of these two Dutch guys? I know there is nothing such as a "best Steeler in the world"; personal taste and fashion of certain years all count.
Do not get me wrong- I am not a special Hawiian music fan, but I grew up with these songs thanks to a very friendly Indonesian neighbour who taught me all about the Dutch Indies taste of Hawaiian music. Thank you for that, boeng Chris Sersansie- wherevere you are!

Greetz from Holland,
Harry Sibum
destroying guitars since 1960, restoring guitars since 1995
azureskys

Re: Rudi Wairata, Dutch Pride

Post by azureskys »

Hi Harry . Rudi sounds like he was a hot player at the time , sounds like some jazz mixed in his playing which is cool, kinda like django rienhart ( dont know if i spelled that right or not) who was or is the best ? i dont know , i think everyone has something to offer listeners. Russ
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Rudi Wairata, Dutch Pride

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

I hear some shades of early lap steel guitar in the country genre. Lefty and Hank. Also some Hawaiian sounds. Isn't it amazing how so many genre's of music mix so well together. Beautiful tune Buddy.

Remember, you ain't much if you ain't Dutch. LOL Something I heard from the Dutch Signals Unit in Croatia. And I heard it many times.

Paul